Windows Update not working

My Toshiba laptop can not load Windows Updates. The message I receive is "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer" and in a box underneath is "find out more about free software from (null)" . My old antirvir program found some problems and deleted some malware but then I realised Updater still can't connect. I then ran Malwarebytes (and have subsequently purchased this program) and this found five instances of the following " C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1210150585-540849431-1409070003-1005\$59773f52d474486c2fd8e50a316b2b4b\U\00000004.@ (Trojan.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully". I tried a System Restore to my last point but this did not solve the problem. I tried several other possible solutions from answers.microsoft such as changing the settings etc but no luck. Also the Updater page for showing my previous updates is empty. I suspect that the necessary files for this application have been deleted or corrupted before I ran Malwarebytes scan....................Can anyone help. My Toshiba Satellite was not supplied with a Windows installation disc. It is running Windows7. ..........................................................Nelson

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

The computer shows signs of being infected with the Zero Access rootkit.

One or more of the identified infections is related to a nasty
which is difficult to remove. Rootkits and
are
very dangerous
because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use
backdoor Trojans
and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned.
All passwords should be changed immediately
to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums
from a CLEAN COMPUTER
. You should consider them to be compromised. You should change each password by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connecting again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read

Although the rootkit has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again.
It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure.
In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, delete the partition, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Please read:

Should you decide not to follow this advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. If you wish to proceed, disinfection will require more time and more advanced tools.

If you would like to proceed to try and clean the computer please follow the advice from the link below.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Message borrowed from quietman7 with minor wording and link changes

Thanks a million for your detailed reply. It will take me a while to come to grips with the details. It is actually my husband's computer which has come to grief and I think I have already decided to reformat it. His computer accesses the internet via a wireless router connected to my desktop computer. This one has all my financial records on it. I assume that the Trojan may have been able to access information on my computer also and I will have to change all passwords on this desktop PC. Can the Trojan infect my PC? He felt the infection may have come via some You Tube sites he was accessing but didn't mention his suspicions until later. I have run several scans on my PC and Malwarebytes has not found any problem.

I have been reading Security FAQ's and they are wonderfully comprehensive but rather scary. How do I scan an attachment which arrives by email?

Thanks again and I will start making a plan of action. Am I right in guessing that some of his data and music files etc may also cause problems if I back them up from his laptop and reload them onto his clean machine? I am 78 years old and started using a Commodore64 in 1982 and this is the first time I have had a virus problem so really have no experience in dealing with this situation.

One other question, is Malwarebytes sufficient protection or should we have any other virus checking running also?

Marge

Hi, nelsonk:

Until Firefox returns...

One other question, is Malwarebytes sufficient protection or should we have any other virus checking running also?

...to answer that question: No, MBAM is not sufficient by itself.

It is designed to provide layered protection against a different range of threats than that provided by a standard AV.

However, the primary line of software defense is a robust, updated AV (there are many free and paid options).

This KB sticky topic explains why: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

HTH,

daledoc1

Thanks daledoc1....

As daledoc1 has already mentioned, no Malwarebytes is not sufficient, you need to have both an Anti-virus program and Malwarebytes (or any other antimalware software) to help you from becoming infected. This does not mean you will never get infected, but it will greatly reduce your chances....

I can not say 100% for sure that it will not spread to your computer as we do not have samples of the infection on the computer. But if you ran a scan with and updated AV and MBAM and they come back clean, more than likely your fine.

If you decide to format it, make sure you also delete the partitions and re-create them to make sure the infection is gone. As for backing up his data, you can back it up, then once your format and install windows, before you copy the data back, make sure you have a good antivirus program installed together with MBAM Pro and while the copy is going on, the files will get scanned so it will detect any file that may be infected.

Scanning attachments in an email is a job of your antivirus software.

It is possible that a format is not needed, why not let the experts guide you through the process, its done for free, and its one on one help. Just follow the instructions below if you want to go that route. You can do it with both computers if you like so they can check your desktop as well. Just make sure to let the helper know your working on two computers.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

Thanks again. I'm sorry but I won't be able to do anything for a few days. Just had eye surgery and very hard to see properly. Just have to think for a few days and then take some action when I may have some idea of what I am doing.

Marge.

We have decided to bite the bullet and reformat the Toshiba laptop. I am fairly sure I have all the original discs for any programs we need to install. I am also fairly sure that any data files on the laptop are duplicated on my PC desktop. I have run Malwarebytes and my Avira Anti virus several times on my computer and nothing found amiss. I do have maximum security setting on the wireless router.I have changed all passwords etc from my PC. I have not turned on the laptop since this problem arose unless the PC, router and modem are turned off. I have also run MBAM and Avira several times on the laptop. Avira showed several viruses even though it had not ben turned on in the interim but MBAM was clear.

My eyes are improving rapidly and I feel I can tackle this now. The directory structure on the laptop really is a mess and a complete fresh start sounds like a good idea.

We did make a set of System Recovery Discs when we first bought the laptop and Toshiba manual says they can be used to restore to "out of the box" so here's hoping..

Let me know if you think this is a poor decision and I will wait a little while before taking action,

Your advice has been wonderful and thanks again

Marge

Hi there Firefox

Just one final thank you. I re formatted the laptop very successfully and have just started loading some data files from my PC. Have loaded most of my favourite software and I was able to reload Office 2010 without any hitches.

I probably should close this topic now or is this not necessary or can you do that.

This forum is particularly informative and I will continue to use it if I have any more "invaders"

Marge.