Strange Attachments

baaa

Hi baaa,

Welcome to Malwarebytes Forum

My name is Tomk1. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

• I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, feel free to create a new one.

I have reviewed the logs you provided. I see no problems there.

Are you having any issues other than the "strange" attachment?

I think you are good to go. :)

This little tool will clean up some of the tools and the logs they left

• Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • A list of tool components used in the cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTC to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to begin the cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Anything left can just be deleted.

The following is my standard advice for the future. Use what you can and pat yourself on the back for what you're already doing.

Please take time to read Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing. Very important information for your consideration is contained therein.

I would also suggest you read this:

So how did I get infected in the first place?

by Tony Klein

Also: "How to prevent malware"

by miekiemoes

Please respond back that you understand the above and let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, this thread will be closed Resolved.

Hi,

Thanks for the clear advice. I have a few questions:

1) I don't see how to disable Active X on Firefox. Please advise.

2) Is it safer to not use Java at all?

3) After I installed ERUNT I recd the error message “Unable to create file: C:\Windows\ERDNT\Autobackup\3-29-2013\ERDNT.IF” also for …..\SOFTWARE! No solution if I install as the administrator. What’s up with that?

4) When installing PSI I get the error message “Error opening file for writing “C:\program files (x86)\secunia\psi\sua.exe I have not had installing programs in the past…. And I have no probs installing the other programs you recommended. What’s up?

Thanks again !!

Active X only pertains to Internet Explorer. Firefox doesn't use it.

It is safest to not use Java at all. Most people do not need it.

There is a difference between running from a "administrator" account and running from an elevated prompt (right clicking and run as administrator). You need to run from an elevated prompt.

Personally... I don't run PSI (I know... it is suggested on good practices but I don't). I have heard that some people have had trouble with it in recent times but I'm really not familiar with the problem. Here is another program that is similar and check for updates: http://www.filehippo.../updatechecker/

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!