Freezing browser/pc, unable to start at times

janann

Hello, i just finished with Mr C in the Malware forum and now that part's all taken care of i seem to still be experiencing problems with a borrowed laptop. Its running Google Chrome and Ie and both are the updated versions, all programs have been updated and all maintenance ran and checked out as A-ok but still it freezes off and on, necessitating a hard restart followed by at times a complete inability to get past the windows log on screen. It was suggested that i try a clean boot, which i did try, unfortunately the settings won't hold in the Services tab and they keep reloading even tho i am setting them to not?? Any help would be appreciated, since it's not my pc i don't want to have to reformatt it..

Thanks

Janet

• Root Admin

Hi Janet

Okay well let's start off with the following then and see what we can find or do about it.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Thanks

• Root Admin

To me it looks like you may have some older left over versions of Norton antivirus as well as the Norton Internet Security Suite

I would recommend that you logon to your My Norton account and make sure you have the activation key and the download link to reinstall Norton.

Then let me have you temporarily uninstall it then we'll do some testing and when done you can reinstall the Norton.

STEP 1

So that you're not without an antivirus product while we're testing please download the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus which is free

Microsoft Security Essentials - download

Just save the installer to your computer but do not install it just yet.

STEP 2

Please download the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall Norton Security Suite and any other left over Symantec/Norton services or files.

Right click and save to your computer: Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Then close all open browsers and programs and locate the file you downloaded and right click over it and choose "Run as administrator" and proceed to remove Norton antivirus and when requested go ahead and reboot the computer.

STEP 3

Now locate the installer you downloaded for Microsoft Security Essentials and right click on it and choose "Run as administrator" to install and then update the program.

STEP 4

Please follow the directions from this website and do a FULL disk check on your C: drive.

How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

Restart the computer to do the disk check and let it run. It should take a minimum of about 10 minutes and could possibly take hours to complete depending on your hardware and amount of files and folders on the system.

STEP 5

Please follow the directions below to uninstall MBAM - Choose the last option Removal Only

MBAM Clean Removal Process

Make sure you restart the computer

STEP 6

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.

Close any open programs and Internet browsers.

Locate the file then right click and choose "Run as administrator" and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.

Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.

Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.

STEP 7

Now download the latest version of MBAM and reinstall the program.

Make sure you check for updates and then run a FULL Scan and post back the log.

Thanks

This laptop isn't mine, so i have no access to any of the installation cds nor the key codes atm. I'd have to have them find them and get them to me, the other antivirus will work in the meantime. Personally i detest Norton's Antivirus and find it less than effective to keep out virus/trojans and the like but his parental units won't listen to me..lol

• Root Admin

STEP 1

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 2

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes to allow it to run.
  • Under Actions click on the Search button.
  • Under Actions click on the Delete button.
  • Click OK on all prompts.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the entire contents of that logfile to your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt where the number in brackets indicates how often it was run.

STEP 3

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please ask if anyone is still using the Citrix client software to connect to anything like a remote work site or something. It appears to be running Citrix and it crashed in the log but there could be a few reasons for that. If no longer using the Citrix though then you may want to consider uninstalling it to save on resource usage.

Please reboot the computer one more time and then run DDS scan again from above with antivirus disabled and post back as attachments the new logs please.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Even though you have the latest verison of Java you should also install the x86 32-Bit version as that is typically the default browser, or if you can do without Java that would be even better.

I would recommend uninstalling this browser unless you're using it and keeping it up to date.

Safari

Some other device on the network keeps trying to use the same IP address 192.168.1.15 which can cause networking issues if both try to keep that same IP.

Please temporarily uninstall Google Chrome and reboot the computer.

Manually uninstall Google Chrome in Windows

Then after the reboot go ahead and reinstall Google Chrome if that's the browser you want to use.

Then let me know if you're still having any issue with freezing or not and then we'll look at finishing up here

How would i go about finding out which device on the network is trying to use that same ip address? In process of manually uninstalling google chrome, could you tell me why i'm removing it and then re-installing it? I haven't had any issues with the pc freezing since the Norton's removal, btw.

janet

• Root Admin

The device ID is in the log but for the most part if you restart all your devices that are local to the router they should all either get a new IP or negotiate a new IP.

I wanted you to do the clean reinstall of Chrome because of what you appear to have explained as intermittent freezing. If you're satisfied that the issue was corrected by removing Norton then you can skip doing that.

We should now look at what antivirus you're going to use and make sure its all working well before we close up here.

Did you have a specific antivirus that you wanted to use?

Could you explain "if you restart all your devices that are local to the router" ?? This laptop is now mine, they already bought a replacement thinking it was completely un-fixable and since i've helped them out before working on their pc's (hobby of mine) they wanted to pay me back. So whatever is on it will be mine and mine alone. Why pay for antivirus that isn't working is my thoughts.

• Root Admin

Avira has a good free antivirus as does avast. You can keep MSE if you like but the others are probably better solutions.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

If you need further help please let use know otherwise once you have an antivirus ready to use just uninstall the other one and install just one and update it and do a scan with it to make sure all is okay and nothing found.

Then let me know and we'll do a couple finish up items.

Avira detected 4 problems, they're now in quarantine. TR/Spy.Bancos.Adv.6 was listed 4 times and ADWARE/InstallCore.Gen. They link back to the FLVPlayer, which is something else that probably needs deleting as i'm unsure to what it is anyway..