Help Exorcise my Mouse

torroray

Erratic mouse behaviour is not a sign of malicious activity (unless your mouse moves all by itself even then it may not be malicious but a coincidence of wireless operation)

1. Is it a Optical mouse ?
  2. Is it a ball mouse ?
  3. Is it a wireless mouse ?
  4. Is it a USB, PS/2 or is is a mechanism on a notebook ?

Not that it has anything to do with your mouse issue, but is there any reason you are running two antivirus programs? It is not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program at one time, this could cause issues with lockups as well as other problems. I would suggest you pick one or the other. Looks like you are using Comodo Defense + Firewall. I would probably uninstall Avast in your case, but that is up to you....

AV: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {2B2D1395-420B-D5C9-657E-930FE358FC3C}
SP: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {904CF271-6431-DA47-5FCE-A87D98DFB681}
SP: Windows Defender *Enabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
SP: COMODO Defense+ *Enabled/Updated* {FEEA52D5-051E-08DD-07EF-2F009097607D}
FW: COMODO Firewall *Enabled* {7DB03214-694B-060B-1600-BD4715C36DBB}

Not that it has anything to do with your mouse issue, but is there any reason you are running two antivirus programs? It is not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program at one time, this could cause issues with lockups as well as other problems. I would suggest you pick one or the other. Looks like you are using Comodo Defense + Firewall. I would probably uninstall Avast in your case, but that is up to you....

AV: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {2B2D1395-420B-D5C9-657E-930FE358FC3C}
SP: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {904CF271-6431-DA47-5FCE-A87D98DFB681}
SP: Windows Defender *Enabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
SP: COMODO Defense+ *Enabled/Updated* {FEEA52D5-051E-08DD-07EF-2F009097607D}
FW: COMODO Firewall *Enabled* {7DB03214-694B-060B-1600-BD4715C36DBB}

Comodo Defense is an HIPS product. Not an antivirus. It's more of a separate component that installs with the antivirus, firewall or internet security bundle.

• Root Admin

Erratic mouse behaviour is not a sign of malicious activity (unless your mouse moves all by itself even then it may not be malicious but a coincidence of wireless operation)

2. Is it a ball mouse ?

Motherboard specs say it's this one

As to what type of mouse the user would need to specify

P_500.jpg

No problem.

However, the defense component does have keyboard monitoring. I'm not sure about mouse, but I don't think it would hurt to remove Comodo or disable it and see if that resolves the users issues. Possible it might be interfering with the drivers as it is HIPS after all... From past experience setting the settings to high caused applications not to work or to block almost every action.

2. Is it a ball mouse ?

Optical USB

No problem.

However, the defense component does have keyboard monitoring. I'm not sure about mouse, but I don't think it would hurt to remove Comodo or disable it and see if that resolves the users issues. Possible it might be interfering with the drivers as it is HIPS after all... From past experience setting the settings to high caused applications not to work or to block almost every action.

If I remove Comodo, what do I replace it with?

Thanks

Like what CWB indicates, compressed air, clean soft bristle paint brush, etc.

Just by replacing the mouse with another will show you its the mouse.

Compressed air. I just give a gentle blow to it. Its not a proper way since it will distort the optics.

I would like to get my hands on some compressed air so I can clean not just my mouse/keyboard but the fins of my CPU cooler.

Can someone recommend me please.

Thanks.

"Compressed air. I just give a gentle blow to it. Its not a proper way since it will distort the optics."

hmmm ... if that were the case then the/a mouse would not hold up to normal everyday use .

certainly my camera lenses have not suffered ill effects over the years .

there are several brands of "compressed/canned air" available . a trip to an office supply , wal-mart or such stores will do the trick .

Compressed air. I just give a gentle blow to it. Its not a proper way since it will distort the optics.

You actually believe the hype on this rodent ?

Do you think that gold plating a mouse's USB connector makes a difference ? 'Cause it doesn't.

It is nothing but a plastic molded lens optical mouse that's overly hyped such that it can fetch a premium price. The optics are confined to a simple emitter and sensor. It is not a precision optical device with multiple ground glass lenses that are perfectly aligned and use various methodologies for astigmatism mitigation found in microscopy instrumentation.

The simplistic emitter and sensor used in motion detection is easily distorted by physical light obstructions.

Either the overly priced mouse has gone bad or the optics have an obstruction in its aperture.

You actually believe the hype on this rodent ?

Do you think that gold plating a mouse's USB connector makes a difference ? 'Cause it doesn't.

It is nothing but a plastic molded lens optical mouse that's overly hyped such that it can fetch a premium price. The optics are confined to a simple emitter and sensor. It is not a precision optical device with a multiple ground glass lenses that are perfectly aligned and use various methodologies for astigmatism mitigation found in microscopy instrumentation.

The simplistic emitter and sensor used in motion detection is easily distorted by physical light obstructions.

Either the overly priced mouse has gone bad or the optics have an obstruction in its aperture.

No.

It just cost cheaper compared to other gaming mouse.

there are a couple of old sayings :

"whatever the market will bear"

"caveat emptor"

a bit of clarification of a term used : "ignorant" ... i use this word by the true meaning , it means "to not be aware or knowledgeable" .

basically , there is a lot of "stuff" out there that is carefully marketed and targets specific users of equipment and counts on their ignorance .

the main idea is to get into the wallet of the consumer/user by playing on their emotions ... this is a very old game ... google : "snake oil" .

many times the equipment is nothing more than "average quality" in a fancy looking package , with a bunch of "glittering generalities" ("new and improved" , etc) and meaningless or not-quite-the-truth statements .

the uneducated are most often the victims of these ploys ... using ones own ego to sell a product .

many people do not like to admit that they do not know something , so they will buy a product and tout it to their friends as being the "best" when they actually have no real knowledge of the performance and *why* (or even if) it is better .

there are cases where there is an obvious difference in performance and quality .

in the case of "mice" there is bound to be some difference between a $5 mouse and a $150 mouse ... but certainly not worth the extra $145 .

the main differences would amount to the basic physical qualities such as the interconnecting cable (aka : tail) as far as how many times it can be flexed before one of the internal wires breaks .

the optics (as mentioned by david) would be virtually the same . to date , i have not seen multi-coated glass lenses used in a mouse , they are simply not required .

an example of "low cost optics" that do the job is/was found in 99.9% of all cd/dvd players and burners ... they utilize coated plastic lensing systems ... the requirements/demands of tracking a cd or dvd are far more stringent than that of a mouse .

another area (and example of) where ignorant hype shows up is in the field of audio reproduction ... by joe consumer .

i have watched all manner of "ploys" used to sell snake oil to ignorant individuals over the years .

how about a "special device" that makes solid state equipment sound just like tube equipment ?

yessir , just pull off the cap and swab it on a few of the things inside your $1500 receiver/amplifier and it'll sound just like a 1962 harmon-kardon or mcintosh tube amplifier .

in reality the "special pen" is nothing more than a "magic marker" (think "sharpie" and how apropos that name actually is) wrapped with a sticky label .

there were a lot of those pens sold for $50 .

similar "hucksterism" can be found in many areas of consumerism .