Computer all messed up - not sure what's going on. Please help!

Could not complete this step - the link is not active:

Task 4

To de-install Flash Player

Use Programs and Features (Windows 7 & Vista) or Add-or-Remove Programs (Windows XP) to de-install older versions of Flash Player.

For stubborn cases,

Download and save the Flash Player uninstaller >> uninstall Flash Player for 32-bit Windows<<

If you have Windows 64-bit, use this Flash Player uninstaller >> uninstall Flash Player for 64-bit Windows<<

Close all browsers and instant messenger (IM) programs.

Run the uninstaller.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.70.0.1100

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.03.13.09

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

Angel :: ANGEL-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

3/13/2013 11:13:03 AM

mbam-log-2013-03-13 (11-13-03).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 373773

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 2 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

You noted

'Not Responding' when I try to do something

What are you trying when that happens? Name of application, etc. ....the what/when/how detail

The MBAM result is very good.

Did you sort out the issue with Flash Player update ? If not, that is a security concern, and needs your follow-up.

IF you need more directions, see => http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2013/03/critical-adobe-flash-player-and-adobe.html

Here are some recommended articles on "slow" computer issues:

MS Speed up your pc - Win7 / Vista

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/explore/speed-up-your-pc

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

See Quietman7's Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

See Miekiemoes' Help! My computer is slow!

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html

Slow Computer/Browser: Check here first!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html

D'ya see how "details" are important ?

To Reset Firefox to its default state:

Start Firefox

in the address bar, type in

about:support

Click on the Reset Firefox button at top right of screen.

While in Firefox, press Shift+CTRL+Delete keys and delete temporary internet cache files.

Also see http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems?s=reset+search+options&r=2&as=s

Still in Firefox, on main menu, choose Tools >>> Options

click the General tab

Under the Downloads block

IF the SAVE files to is selected, then Click on (to select) Always ask me where to save files

Then press OK button

What is currently your "biggest" issue or concern ?

For Firefox.......do the following....

To Reset Firefox to its default state:

Start Firefox

in the address bar, type in

about:support

Click on the Reset Firefox button at top right of screen.

While in Firefox, press Shift+CTRL+Delete keys and delete temporary internet cache files.

Still in Firefox, on main menu, choose Tools >>> Options

click the General tab

Under the Downloads block

IF the SAVE files to is selected, then Click on (to select) Always ask me where to save files

Then press OK button

Hello Maurice - sorry it took so long to respond. I went out of town on business for a couple of days and was not in front of the computer.

It is running exponentially better as of today. Can you help me to remove all of the stuff I installed to get it going good?

Also - I plan to purchase more memory and that may help a little. What are your thoughts?

as to " Can you help me to remove all of the stuff I installed to get it going good? "

Yes, but you could do that yourself, using Control Panel >> Add-or-Remove programs ...for what you had installed before and no longer using.

But maybe, you are referring to something else? Some detail & feedback would help.

More RAM memory is good, to a point. How much RAM memory does your system have now?

I moved the computer from my desk to my kids desk and for some reason it will be running and then will reboot all of a sudden. I was thinking maybe something was loose on the inside or maybe I didn't reconnect the power cord all the way. I checked the cords in the back (unplugged and replugged it in) and the computer will come on but after you log in and start working - it reboots again.

I have not been inside the case. I checked it on Crucial to see what memory to purchase for upgrade but I didn't have to open the case for that.

Describe Problem in Full Detail: once the computer is on, it will reboot without any warning.

Is the computer a tower (upright case) or one more-horizontal case ?

I presume this is not a notebook or laptop, right?

Recheck the seating an connection for keyboard, mouse, and monitor. And their corresponding power connection.

describe what all was moved. And recheck and confirm that all cables are properly seated & power cords and hookups are correct.

IF there is any external printer, copier, or scanner, then keep those disconnected for the duration.

Do you hear any beeps as the system is first powered up?

I cannot imagine that any of this is due to any malware. But most likely a hardware or power issue of some sort.

Q: Did you make any updates or changes in Windows or add a program or change a hardware driver -after- you moved the system, or just before this current problem showed up? Please advise.

There is a fairly good chance that there is a Windows STOP exception & the system is set to restart on error.

We would want to turn OFF the restart on error, and we would rather have the actual STOP code show up.

Do this:

Power off the computer.

Wait about a minute.

Turn on the power.

Immediately while at Keyboard, tap & retap F8 function key on keyboard. To get to Advanced Boot Options.

When get to advanced boot options, using the Up-Down arrow keys, select

Disable automatic restart on system failure

and press Enter

Then try getting to normal mode Windows.

IF that is not useable, then repeat the F8 procedure & then select Safe mode with Networking

IF and when you get a STOP code exception (usually called a BSOD blue screen of death in the vernacular) then you must document the set of information and report that back here.

We will need the STOP code & the surrounding 2 lines of description and codes.

Your STOP screen info will look similar to this:

STOP-sample_zpsac08f8e3.gif

I need all the information from yours..... if and when the next time it happens.

For your reference and knowledge, I offer these references at Microsoft support:

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

Report back with details, including telling us if you mange to get into either normal mode or into Safe mode with Networking.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!