mbam-killer.exe detected as threat by Trend Micro

Hello All,

Walked in to my computer today and had an alert from Trend Micro OfficeScan that their real-time scan had detected TROJ_GEN.R31C0C7 as a virus in chameleon\mbam-killer.exe

It alerted several times, all for the same location. I think that mbam-killer.exe is a valid file from research.

Is this just a false positive, or should I be more concerned?

Thanks

David

No it was not detected as a "virus". TrendMicro detected it as a generic trojan as noted by the name TROJ_GEN.R31C0C7

It's a False Positive declaration and you can exclude the file "mbam-killer.exe" or the "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Chameleon" folder from future scans.

Thanks for the reply. My concern stemmed form Malwarebytes being installed for months without a warning of this sort at any point, including full scans. Then after the alert, a search at trend micro did not show the virus and info at google was sparse as well. That let me to wonder if it was a bad file masquerading as a good file.

Thanks again,

David

Hi:

If this is a TM False Positive, then the best bet would probably be to report it to Trend Micro via their helpdesk or forum? :)

Having said that, many of the major AVs "require" at least temporary removal of other security products during their installation.

In most cases, though, one can reinstall the other program (such as MBAM) after the AV install/activation is complete.

Then, one would set up any mutual exclusions that might be needed.

I'm not personally familiar with TM products, but what I've described is the typical scenario.

Cheers,

daledoc1

PS In the interim, I'm not sure why one would need to uninstall MBAM, though. Can't one follow DHL's suggestion to tell TM to "ignore" or "exclude" it?