Allow scanning inside archives for on-demand file scans

Textbook

I understand why Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not normally detect malware contained inside archives. If it's not actively running or has a chance of running, then it's less of a threat, right? I understand the reasoning, except it creates a problem when performing an on-demand file scan using the right-click context menu in Windows Explorer. I think if you are right-clicking on a .zip and clicking "Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" then it should be able to detect the threat without me having to extract the malicious files first and then scan them. Is there a way to set up a different behavior or rule for when the file is scanned via context menu opposed to a normal quick scan or full scan? Malicious .zip email attachments are one example of where this would be useful. Thanks!

Greetings :)

Scanning within archives is certainly something we've considered many times. Keep an eye out, as we may end up implementing archive scanning in some form in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion :).

I agree with the OP. This feature is long overdue in Malwarebytes. I just bought a license assuming that the program would have a context menu entry (as most other scanners do), but was disappointed to find that it didn't. After doing some research, I found that this feature has been requested as far back as 2009, and you are still giving the same non-commital reply.

I like your program's ease of use, and I find a context menu entry very handy, and one which I use a lot with scanners, but when my current license times out, I won't be renewing. Instead, I'll either continue with the freeware version, or find another antimalware program which has the features I want/need. Thank you.

Hello and welcome, mcbarker: :)

I like your program's ease of use, and I find a context menu entry very handy, and one which I use a lot with scanners, but when my current license times out,

Until Exile360 or another staffer arrives...

If you are running MBAM PRO with a CONSUMER license, then your license time will not run out, as it's a one-time, "lifetime" license. :)

(Only corporate licenses need to be renewed annually.)

And I may be misunderstanding your post, but MBAM does indeed offer right-context menu scanning (though scanning within archived files is not yet supported). :)

The attached screenshot shows how to enable that feature.

HTH,

daledoc1

post-29793-0-85423800-1362746904.png

Sorry, I didn't notice that option (which is activated by default I guess). MBAM wasn't showing up in the context menu when right-clicking on several executable files, then after reading your reply, I realized that they were archives in executable packages. Mea culpa :unsure:

Going back to the original poster's request, the ability of MBAM to scan files within an archive would be (IMHO) an invaluable tool, and one which MBAM should seriously consider implementing. Thank you.

:)

• Staff

Allow scanning inside archives for on-demand file scans

How many years should we wait ?!

Other programs can from the start...

MAM

From the beginning we originally decided not to scan within archives deliberately as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was designed only to look for active infections. An infection within an archive cannot be active, it must first be extracted before it can execute. I'm not saying that we won't implement this in the future, as we likely will, however that's the reasoning as to why we did not do so sooner. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not a raw file scanner like an antivirus.