Cannot restart my computer after chkdsk

Relincanth

Hello, I have an IBM MT-M 8184 and I've recently stumbled across a warning telling me that I had to run a chkdsk due to a file, not having a clue what this file was or how to run a chkdsk, I went to the Microsoft website, it told me to run chkdsk using run, cmd, /chkdsk blah blah blah. After typing 'Y' when it says "Do you want to reschedule?", I was told to restart my computer, now I have the feeling that the files that were corrupted and deleted by that chkdsk run were essential to start my computer, as I no longer can, all I can remember is that the file was in c:/users/(insert username here)/Documents and Settings/ and inside this there was a hidden folder which I had to use a 'Search' to find, you know, the thing with the inspector dog.

I am running a Windows XP Pro OS.

Details on the restart:

When I restart, after showing all my specs for a split second (like it usually does) my screen goes completely black (like it usually does) and I'm waiting for my mouse to appear and show the log-on screen, but neither of those things happen, the screen stays black and my computer stays in the 'reading' process as I can hear that my CPU is running pretty hard (my tower makes a vacuum cleaner noise, as when it does when it is lagging a lot etc). In case you're asking, I have tried to do the last known good config and the same thing happens, I have also tried to run on all safe mode options including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking. These 3 modes' start-ups were a bit different though, they froze on the screen where it is loading all the files on the screen, the last file I get to see on my screen is from my antivirus, which is the Free version of AVG. I have not yet tried the 'Reboot' option feeling a queasiness that I shouldn't do something else which I knew absolutely nothing about.

Is there some way I can fix the start up, because it seems that I won't be restoring the deleted files during the chkdsk if I cannot start my computer to begin with. I have had my computer on for a few hours before and the screen is still black. I've also waited a few days as this has happened before but the next day I could start it again without any problems, but this time it doesn't seem to be as easy. If it helps, I have had a notice that my Windows wasn't genuine for a few months now, which has taken away my wallpaper and placed a black screen with a blue box on the bottom right corner telling me that I need to obtain a legit version of Windows, which is rather strange since my version is completely genuine, and I have installed the OS to other computers and they haven't had any problems.

I hope to receive help soon as I am using my sister's laptop without consent, and if she found out, she would infact kill me. I also am trying to avoid getting a whole new computer even though mine is outdated since I don't want to raid my family's wallet since I lack a job, also a big part of why having my own computer is a necessity. I hope to receive help soon. Thanks guys.

From what you wrote, it comes across as a failing hard disk.

It is possible as an IBM (but not guaranteed) that it is using an IBM/Hitachi hard disk. There is a diagnostic called the Drive Fitness Test which comes as a CDROM ISO image. You burn the ISO image to a CD then boot off that CD and you can test the hard disk. You may be even able to repair bad sectors long enough to make a data backup. However, I believe you have a failing disk drive.

If it is not a IBM/Hitachi hard disk, there are SeaGate and Western Digital diagnostics for their hard disks.

From what you wrote, it comes across as a failing hard disk.

It is possible as an IBM it is possible (but not guaranteed) that it is using an IBM/Hitachi hard disk. There is a diagnostic called the Drive Fitness Test which comes as a CDROM ISO image. You burn the ISO image to a CD then boot off that CD and you can test the hard disk. You may be even able to repair bad sectors long enough to make a data backup. However, I believe you have a failing disk drive.

If it is not a IBM/Hitachi hard disk, there are SeaGate and Western Digital diagnostics for their hard disks.

I've burned the ISO onto the CD, how do I boot off the CD on my computer?

A computer shows a "splash screen" upon bootup and before it loads the OS. It is performing what is called the Power On Self Test (aka; POST). During the POST process you can hit a different HotKey and that will get you into the BIOS setup series of screens. On many systems that HotKey may be ESC or F1. When the POST process is in action and the "splash screen" is show, the screen will often show the BIOS HotKey.