Malwarebytes' causes system to stall at startup for an hour or longer

Hello silekonn,

If you have a PRO MBAM license, you really ought to have opened a ticket with the MalwareBytes Help Desk:

you may contact the consumer help desk here.

If you are in an organization or a corporate customer, contact Corporate Support for assistance.

Advise me if you do decide on that.

For further help here on this forum, kindly do not do any more "attachment" of logs. Always Copy and Paste the log into main body of reply box. Use a separate reply for each log, if needed, and as needed.

Tell me what security/antivirus app originally came pre-loaded on this system?

Tell me what was installed before Norton/Symantec ? {if any}

It is frequently the case that older security apps leave a trace behind and cause conflicts.

For the duration of this case, disable {turn OFF} S*uperantispyware from startup with Windows.

Step 1

1. Go >> Here << and download ERUNT

(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts

(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)

3. Start ERUNT

(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)

4. Choose a location for the backup

(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).

5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked

6. Press OK

7. Press YES to create the folder.

Step 2

To show all files:

• Go to your Desktop
  • Double-Click the Computer icon.
  • From the menu options, Select Tools, then Folder Options.
  • Next click the View tab.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Locate and click Show hidden files and folders and drives.
  • Click Apply > OK.

Step 3

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

For directions on how, see How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Do NOT turn off the firewall

Please download AdwCleaner © Xplode from >>here<< and save it on your Desktop.

If your are running Windows XP, double click adwcleaner.exe to start it.

Otherwise, Right-click on adwcleaner.exe and select Run As Administrator to launch the application.

Now click on the Search tab.

Please post the contents of the log-file created in your next post.

Note: The log can also be located at C:\AdwCleaner[XX].txt where XX Denotes the number of times the application has been ran, so in this should be something like R1.

Step 4

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.

• Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply. And tell me, How is the system now?
  • Re-enable your security software.

Step 5

• Download & SAVE to your Desktop >> Tigzy's RogueKillerfrom here << or
    >> from here <<
  • Quit all programs that you may have started.
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
  • For Vista or Windows 7, do a right-click on the program, select Run as Administrator to start, & when prompted Allow to run.
    For Windows XP, double-click to start.
  • Wait until Prescan has finished ...
  • Then Click on Scan button at upper right of screen.
  • Wait until the Status box shows "Scan Finished"
  • Click on Report and copy/paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply.
  • The log should be found in RKreport[1].txt on your Desktop
  • Exit/Close RogueKiller

Do NOT click any FIX buttons !

Step 6

RE-Enable your antivirus program. excl.png

Then copy/paste the following into your post (in order):

• the contents of C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt;
  • the contents of JRT.txt log;
  • the contents of RKReport log;

Be sure to do a Preview prior to pressing Submit because all reports may not fit into 1 single reply. You may have to do more than 1 reply.

Do not use the attachment feature to place any of your reports. Always put them in-line inside the body of reply.

The issue is unresolved. I appreciate the assistance. I followed this thread with instant notification and never received emails.

I will follow your instructions as soon as access to the system in question is again available. This issue is prevalent on a growing number of systems and appears to be a shortcoming of version 1.70, as a system that had not been upgraded functioned well. It began to stall at welcome immediately after upgrade. I did open a ticket before creating this thread in the hopes that a technician would assist. I have now reread and replied to the ticket with the address of this thread.

Thank you,

Silekonn