rules.def always deleted at program start - no update possible

When I install Malwarebytes on my Windows Professional 64bit SP1 with the latest version there is always the rules.def file not installed. The system asks if I want to update from the internet (as "database is corrupt or missing") and then starts downloading. Still, after the download the rules.def is never be installed in the "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" directory.

I also tried to copy the rules.def (and even all files in the path above) from another computer (where everything runs smoothly) but every time I start MBAM the rules.def is deleted and the systems asks to download a new database. Again, the systems downloads from the internet but is never able to create the rules.def (getting a PROGRAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE error)! I'm running Avast 7 but I don't see a any blockages here.

The solution in the FAQ does not work as there is no rules.def in the directory resp. it is alyways deleted when I copy it there.

I run also mbam-clean.exe but also no success.

It makes me want to tear my hear out! Any ideas?

• Root Admin

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes Labam

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

I did the process already before my post. But now I followed the process word-by-word again. I disabled Avast 7 (deactivate for 10 minutes) and disabled Window7 Firewall Control (Mode: AllowAll) during MBAM-Clean and MBAM-Setup but - same result as before:

After installation I get the message database is corrupt or missing. The system asks if I want to download new database. On 'yes' then download starts but again the database is corrupt or missing and I get "Runtime error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally".

When I now start mbam.exe the system says that database is missing and asks for update. On yes the download starts TWICE (!) and then the message box says: "PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (1812, 0, Configuration access denied)", see attachment. There is no rules.def in the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes path. When I copy it manually (e.ge. from different computer) it is always deleted on start of mbam.exe

post-127647-0-14208400-1360251382.png

@Firefox: Clean and Setup are of course done with ADMIN rights. Launching mbam.exe withOUT admin rights returns the PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING as mentioned above. Lauching with admin rights returns "Runtime error 400" as program is not able to store the downloaded database.

@exile360: MBAM-clean already deletes C:\Program Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. On installation the folder is created again but when I launch mbam.exe the system displays the "database corrupt or missing" message and rules.def is deleted. Update of rules.def does not work (see above). When I then delete the folder (although mbam is still installed) the folders are created on launch of mbam.exe but the "Update" button in the mbam window is deactived.

Wait, are you running the software from a limited user account? That would be why the update button is grayed out. You can't update the database without administrative privileges and I wouldn't recommend performing the installation of the program from a limited user account either. I just checked your mbam-check log and it shows this:

User Account type: Limited User

No, I don't, I start mbam.exe with "Run as adminsitrator" and I cleaned (MBAM-clean) and installed (MBAM-setup) with the administrator account. The Update button is only grayed out if I manually delete the Malwarebytes folder in C:\ProgramData directory after installation (which was just a test to see what happens then). After a "normal" installation the button is active and download / update is started but when finished I get the "database corrupt or missing" message.

But it's true that I started MBAM-check as a limited user that's why you see it in the CheckResults.txt

The strange thing is that on my other computer everything is running perfectly and I wanted to buy a license of the product for the computer I'm currently struggling with as I use this one "more in the wild"...

No, also from the admin account there is no update possible. It's the same behaviour:

I start mbam.exe, message 'database missing or corrupt - download?', yes, connect to server, download 6.837,44 kb [100%], message 'database missing or corrupt - download?', yes, "Runtime error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally".

For some reason the database can not be stored / accessed in the C:\ProgramData folder although when I manually copy the file there (from my other computer) the file get's deleted on start of mbam.exe (so it can be accessed from the application somehow).

I go nuts...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you are installing it to D:\System\Malwarebytes instead of the default location of C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (on 64bit) or C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on 32bit system.

Is there any reason your changeing the default install location?

Yeah, installing on another drive shouldn't be a problem. I suspect this is more related to permissions or something like that.

If you would, please open a support ticket on our helpdesk located here so that one of our support personnel can work with you directly to do a more advanced diagnosis of the system and hopefully find the solution.

• 2 weeks later...