DOJ ransom virus - cannot use Safe Mode with Networking - Win XP

Well, I tried the restore, re-ran MBAR (did not receive popup this time) - it found the same infection as I listed before. I ran the fixdamage tool again but no change in the status of access to Windows Firewall or Security Center and no ability to turn the services on.

Since I did have access to System Restore I picked a restore point well before the time my friend said the DOJ infection started. Did the restore and all issues were resolved. Firewall works, Security Center works, etc. Cleaned out a bunch of temp files, TIFs, etc, updated Java (and disabled it in browser), Flash Player, Adobe Reader, etc. Ran Windows Update, installed a free AV program (recommended to her that she buy a commercial AV suite). Installed and ran MWB 1.70 and it came up clean. I then turned off System Restore, turned it back on and created a new Restore Point for the current state of the system. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Probably should of thought of doing a System Restore after you guided me through eliminating the DOJ issue and would have saved a lot of time (mine and yours!). I do appreciate very much your help with this. I never would have gotten past the original posted problem of not being to enter Safe Mode with Networking without your input about OTLPE and then pinpointing the files to remove.

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!