Need Help With Blue Screen Error

newguy

HI,

I'm trying to help a friend solve a problem with his computer. The system will shut down seemingly randomly with a blue screen. It's been happening for a while now but the error codes don't appear to be consistant. We ran MBAM and while there were some issues that were solved the blue screen issue remains. A rerun of MBAM showed no infections.

I've had good luck with this forum in the past with malware problems, but I think this may be a different sort of issue.

Am I in the right place? If so what information do I need to post here to get help with this type of error?

Thanks.

Hi, newguy: :)

BSOD are usually caused by hardware or driver problems; however, some serious rootkit infections can also be responsible.

The experts and staff will need more info about the system to get started sorting this out.

For a preliminary look at the system, please follow the instructions below and post back with BOTH of the DDS logs in your next reply.

If you have the actual "stop codes", that would be most helpful, as well.

Thanks,

daledoc1

PS Are you in physical possession of your friend's computer? If not, sorting this out "remotely" will probably be rather challenging and inefficient. :(

---------------------------

DDS Instructions

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hi:

We'll need to wait for a more expert member or staffer to review your logs; additional scans with different tools will likely be needed to sort out hardware vs. drivers vs. malware/rootkit.

As far as the BSOD stop codes, here's how to disable automatic system restarts after BSOD:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/

This is generally a good idea, anyway, to prevent serious system damage, if it's caught in a reboot loop.

And, it will give you time to record the stop codes.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Well a quick look at the files shows that you are having some errors with networking and retaining an IP number through your DHCP server, this could be due to a conflict or an infection.

Also you do have one error that stands out and perhaps you can start there.... (which could indicate a failing hard drive)

1/23/2013 7:58:39 AM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.

Disk Check Instructions

Please do the following, use the instructions appropriate to your version of Windows:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Please let us know how it went.

Thank you :)

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the system will no longer boot. At first when my friend powered on he was getting a black screen only but the system was running, (fans on, lights on, etc.) Occasionally he could shut it off and reboot and be OK. When he told me this I thought the symptoms fit with a failing hard drive and suggested he not try the system again until I had time to run the diagnostics you suggested.

I now have physical possession of the system but it will not power up. When the power button is pressed the fans run for one second or less and the system shuts down again. Thinking the hard drive might still be the culprit I removed it and tried to boot again but got the same results.

Looks like I have to remedy this situation before I can check the hard drive. Unless you have any suggestions for this issue I'll let you know when I get the system running again.

Thanks for your patience.

Well I have a system on my bench right now with about the same symptoms. After further investigation I found that the mother board had some bad capacitors. You may check that.

On yours it pointing to either a bad power supply or perhaps bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Let us know what you find.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your patience. I ended up replacing the power supply and thought the issue was fixed. Unfortunately the same symptoms returned after less than a day of operation. (System wont power on for more than a couple of seconds.)

During this process I was able to remove the hard drive and run some diagnostics on it with another system. Everything checked out fine.

I'm not sure what our next step is here as I don't think I'm qualified to troubleshoot the motherboard.

Anyway, I thought I would let you know the situation so you could go ahead and close this thread if you want. I can always start another if the need arises.

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Your quit welcome, and thanks for coming back and letting us know your progress.....

If you would like to see what some bad capacitors look like on a mother board so you can check yours to see if perhaps that could be your issue, have a look => HERE <= and you will be able to see some images of what to look for.

Let us know if you find some caps that look the same as the ones in the pictures....