Nod32 (ESET) Antivirus and Malwarebytes

Hi - I'm getting my son a PC for his MBA program and want to install Nod32 5 (Antivirus only) and Malwarebytes Pro. I called ESET and they said do not install the paid version of Malwarebytes with ESET - I have the "paid" version and really like it.

Can I have both running? Do I have to set any exclusions and if so do you know wihch ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

I think you should be able to have both, below are the files you need to exclude....

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

NOTE:

To add exclusions to Est Anti-Virus (this may be a little dated...)

This Item<--- was sent from a moderator at the Est A/V forum to show how to add the exclusions required -

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Thanks for the information. When I talked with ESET they said that because Malwarebytes and ESET are both real time scanners and could be scanning the same file simultaneously it would cause system problems. They said excelusions would not help/prevent this. Is this something I should be concerned with or not?

Thanks again for the reply and information!

• Root Admin

I am not aware of anyone ever being able to duplicate this as an issue. Many discuss it but in our testing we have never been able to duplicate this scenario.

They have no affiliation with Malwarebytes so it is not necessarily in their best interest to try to support their own product when some other security product is installed.

The issue described would normally cause a system freeze as both programs would try to lock the file for access.

It's certainly up to you but there are many users around the World using both products just fine.

Guest Seagull

Hello JustPlainBill,

To help give you a piece of mind, I have been running ESET Smart Security (which has the NOD32 Anti-Virus included in it) with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO for several

years now on all the computers in my household and never encountered any issues what so ever. However different PC's may vary, but I don't think you will have any issues.

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the information. When I talked with ESET they said that because Malwarebytes and ESET are both real time scanners and could be scanning the same file simultaneously it would cause system problems. They said excelusions would not help/prevent this. Is this something I should be concerned with or not?

Thanks again for the reply and information!

There is nothing wrong with running Eset and Malwarebytes'. Sadly these days security companies care more about business than protecting users.

The way Anti-Viruses work is that anything your pc comes in contact with whether it be downloading, email or through your network it should automatically pick up on it and block/remove it. Malwarebytes' however will not and only when the file attempts to run. It also will only detect executables and not any other file types like vbscripts, infected word documents or exploits from java or your operating system. So basically they are in two entirely different categories of security products.

Hi - Well, against my better judgement (if I even have any judgement at all) I installed Microsoft Security Essentials because my son said that's the one the University uses. Install went fine last night but today it would not update the virus definitions until I exited MalwareBytes Pro. One minute after I exited Malwarebytes Pro the MSE virus definitions updated.

I'm pretty sure this won't happen with ESET but is there a way around this with MSE if he makes me put this on the new laptop?

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help - much appreciated!!

Well, MSE updated all by itself tonight and Malwarebytes Pro was/is running. I'm sure it wasn't that one setting. I'm starting to think that my "Exiting" Malwarebytes and the scan running shortly thereafter was a coincidence, i.e., that the scan would have run anyway. I'll see how it goes.

I really appreciate all the information and help. Thanks,