Vista 64 hang's on start-up

I'm having the same issue that other's have reported except I'm running Vista 64 bit, (all updates) and the laptop hang's on start-up about 90% of the time. As long as I disable Malwarebytes to "load with windows", I have no issue, I just have to start protection after window's loads. I've tried everything the win 7 guys did and nothing works except disableing malwarebytes on start-up...........and yes it started after the update just as their's did. Anyway, standing by to assist or wait for an update to fix this problem.

• Root Admin

Please run the following mbam-check tool so that we can get a better look at what's going on.

Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it. When done it should then open a log file

Please attach the log to your next reply, it should be on your desktop as "CheckResults.txt"

Next, please download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your desktop.

here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

or

here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop

Please attach the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just attach it to your reply.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Please run the following steps and reboot the computer and let me know if that helps or not.

STEP 1

You have a defragmeter running in compatibility mode which is probably not a good idea.

I would recommend running REGEDIT.EXE and removing the entries marked in red.

Compatibility Flag Settings (Any MBAM file listings should be removed):

=======================================================================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\Users\Stan\Downloads\Diskeeper2009-Professional.exe

SIGN=1F0EAFF7 VM_Universal_Installer2-0-2.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\Users\Stan\Downloads\Diskeeper2009-Professional.exe

SIGN=1F0EAFF7 VM_Universal_Installer2-0-2.exe

STEP 2

Make sure you setup file exclusions for your antivirus. Norton Internet Security

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011 on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Note: On Vista and 7 this will be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Set Exclusions for Norton Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton Internet Security and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

STEP 3

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes to allow it to run.
  • Under Actions click on the Search button.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the entire contents of that logfile to your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt where the number in brackets indicates how often it was run.

• Root Admin

Great glad that seems to have fixed it.

Since some items were found you should go ahead and run the AdwCleaner tool again and this time choose the Delete option.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes to allow it to run.
  • Under Actions click on the Delete button.
  • Click OK on all prompts.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the entire contents of that logfile to your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt where the number in brackets indicates how often it was run.

Well, the computer continue's to lock up on boot unless I remove Malwarebytes from start-up. I ran adwcleaner as you requested and the laptop rebooted fine. This am it locked up when the wife went to boot up before work. When she got home this pm it still locked up, I did three hard restarts but nothing until I removed Malwarebytes from start up then it booted fine. I've provided the log file from Adwcleaner, back to the drawing board but thanks again for helping resolve this issue.

AdwCleanerS1.txt

• Root Admin

Perhaps there is something more going on with that computer that requires further inspection.

Please start a ticket on the Help Desk and ask for me and I will assist you with this further.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact_consumer/

Please also reference your topic here when creating your new ticket.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=118815

Thanks