[Open Event] Failed to performed desired action. Error Code: 2

Hi All,

I'm running Vista 64x and MBAM v.1.34.

I am aware the MBAM Protection Module does not work. However, since I've been using MBAM I get this error whenever Windows boots up: [Open Event] Failed to performed desired action. Error Code: 2

I found reference to it in "Important Topics" > "Protection Module Errors" > Posts #19,20 but it doesn't appear an answer was given.

Any ideas?

On the Protection tab in MBAM, there should be a check box labeled "Start with Windows". Uncheck that, and restart your computer.

Thanks GT500, that appears to have fixed it. I haven't gotten that error message now for over two hours, whereas before, I was getting it probably 3-4 times in two hours.

I'll let you know if for some reason it returns but, no news is good news!

• 4 months later...

I too am having this issue however on a 32 bit platform. Windows server 2003 SP2 32 bit. I have tried teh deselecting of the start on windows option but it comes back everytime I reboot. Secondly the Enable protection and set scan time are both deselected each time I reboot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. No record of this error message anywhere but int his forum. Any help would be appreciated.

post-16383-1248382487_thumb.jpg

OS Name Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003, Standard Edition

Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name CORVETTE

System Manufacturer HP

System Model ProLiant DL360 G4

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date HP P52, 7/16/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\CorvetteDg0\Volume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

User Name Not Available

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 3,583.47 MB

Available Physical Memory 2.01 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.28 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.01 GB

Page File Space 2.93 GB

Page File D:\pagefile.sys

post-16383-1248382487_thumb.jpg

Zalumo, this issue is usually cleared up by uninstalling, rebooting, running this utility, rebooting again, and then reinstalling and registering again with your license. Note that you may want to disable any other security software that you have installed while performing those steps, just in case they are causing issues (sometimes anti-virus software can interfere with the installation of drivers, such as the ones needed for MBAM to work properly).

Please also note that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is not normally tested on Windows 2003, and not supported by our normal support staff such as myself on Windows 2003 (although our corporate support staff might support it for those who purchased corporate licensing).

• 4 months later...

Hey,

Been playing around with this error code.

Seems to be related to the service itself which is not starting.

Try these steps to see if it works for you.

Start >> Run >> Type: "services.msc" >> Click "Ok"

This will open the services Window.

Locate the service called "MBAMService"

Once you've found it make sure its set to startup type "Automatic" (For windows XP) or startup type "Automatic (Delayed Start)" For Vista/Windows7.

Now open your MalwareBytes'.

Under the "Protection" Tab click the "Start Protection" Button.

DO NOT CLICK THE 'OK' BUTTON THAT POP's UP FOR THE CONFIRMATION THAT THE PROTECTION IS RUNNING

Go to your services windows and start the "MBAMService" (Right-Click on the service and select start)

Once the service is up and running, then you can click the "OK" button for the MalwareBytes' Confirmation.

I am aware that this is just a work around.

Maybe the developers can have a bit of a look into why the service physically stops it self if you start it manually prior to pressing the "Start Protection" Button.

This seems to have solved all the Error related problems for myself.

Hope this helps.

Regard,

Nedo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Could not start the MBAMService service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

The only dependency service that I am aware of is MBAMProtector. Please send an e-mail to support@malwarebytes.org and someone should be able to assist you with this.

Nedo, I did all that but I get this error message:

Could not start the MBAMService service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Advice on how to correct that please.

I'm using XP Home.

Hey,

Two things:

Have you rebooted the machine prior to doing the steps?

and

If you have, after starting the service manually, Try hold off for about 10 seconds before clicking tok button on the confirmation box..

I've found this to work on several systems.

Regards,

• 4 months later...

hey guys, have you tried checking the mbam service setting,? i also have same problem with malwarebytes before

click start, then run, then type services.msc

then look for the one with the Mbam then right click it, click properties then go to start up type then change it to automatic

much of the forums on the internet suggested to reinstall malwarebytes but really didnt fix the problem,. i posted this for someone who will have the same problem in the future.

i didnt see this message again (Open event Failed to perform desired acction. Error code 2) plus mbam already appear on the taskbar everytime i start my comp

btw, the other settings are the same, check the start with windows option, enable protection ....

:Dhope i helped someone

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with the same error message, apparently the antivirus &/or the firewall preventing MBAM service from working properly the first time was the cuplrit, because I disabled it before uninstalling and installing MBAM again: now it works well.

Maybe MBAM developers should add a warning during the install to temporarily disable antivirus, firewall, etc.

I am also pretty sure that this error could could be caused by the expiration of your key. For example, Lets say you had the option, "enable protection module" and "start with windows" checked. Then, a few days later, your code and the premium features it comes with (the protection module) expires without you noticing. Therefore Malwarebytes still tries to open up the protection module even though it can't, hence the error code.