Performance Issues

Is it just me or what. But I just cant workout when I can practically do a full scan.

I dont know to be honest what the time for a full scan in hours would be as I always have to abort it. the last one had reached 5 hours plus but already we are into the third day since I started the scan; I mean I have to pause it because I need to work as well and it is to impacting on system performance for soething that is going to be running for hours.

Granted the pause offers some respite and granted the quick scan seems to have dealt with my latest nasty: Trojan-ransome.

But have I missed something? Is there someway to run a full scan with it automatically running as a background process, allowing CPU priority to go elsewhere by default and restricting memmory use?

To be honest which or if both of those resources are being laboured I havn't checked. I dont care either I just want to be able to work. As things stand it just doesnt seem feasible to do a full scan.

Hello and welcome, callmeandy: :)

FWIW, full scans are NOT needed under most circumstances.

MBAM Quick scan should be all that's routinely needed, as it will scan all the areas in which malware may be commonly found.

This KB article explains a bit about it: What is the difference between the three scan types in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Having said that, it's not normal for a Full scan to take hours.

You might want to try the suggestions in this sticky topic in the FAQ - Section L.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, please follow the instructions below and post back with the following logs as attachments to your next reply:

• Checkresults.txt from mbam-check
  • A couple of protection logs, if you have them
  • DDS.txt from DDS
  • Attach.txt from DDS

These will provide the MBAM staff with a bit of information that will permit them to pinpoint the cause and the solution for you.

Thanks!

daledoc1

-----------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.

Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

In Windows Vista/7, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

A full scan's time will vary greatly from one system to another due to its very nature. No realistic estimate can be made on the time that it will take because it all depends on the number of drives being scanned, the speed of those drives, the number of files on the drives, the types of files on the drives (different file types take different amounts of time to analyze), the overall speed of the system (i.e. CPU, RAM etc.), the other programs running on the system which might be using resources and many other factors.

That being said, daledoc1 is absolutely correct. In general, we do not recommend the Full Scan. Our Research and Development teams have engineered the Quick Scan to target every known location where malware likes to install itself and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's intelligent scanning engine is not designed to be a raw file scanner like your antivirus, which is a utility better suited to scanning secondary drives.