Definitions Update issue

I had the same problem yesterdays then it appeared to be fixed. Now I have the same problem again i.e. manual update does not work. Windows says Malware bytes not responding.

Hello and :welcome:

Its always better to start your own thread as everyone computers is different and what applies for one person my not work on anothers..... That being said, please follow the instructions below so we can assist you further...

Please follow the instructions below and post back with the following logs as attachments to your next reply:

• Checkresults.txt from mbam-check
  • A couple of protection logs, if you have them
  • DDS.txt from DDS
  • Attach.txt from DDS

These will provide the MBAM staff with a bit of information that will permit them to pinpoint the cause and the solution for you.

Thanks!

-----------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.

Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

In Windows Vista/7, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hi, Birds: :)

It would have been better to start your own topic, as each computer is unique. A problem that sounds "the same" as that being experienced by another user might not be; so, the solution might be different, too.

Please follow Firefox's instructions >>HERE<< to run the 2 tools and post back here with the 3 logs attached to your next reply.

The experts need that information to determine what's causing the issue, so that they can suggest a solution.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Here are the 3 txt files generated by mbam-check & dds, as well as the last 3 mbam scan logs. It looks like a lot to sort through. Thanks for any help you can provide.

This info is for Birds.....

After reviewing your logs, you have more going on with this computer that needs attention, could be due to an infection or previous infection or some sort of hardware/software conflict. It would be best to have someone help you one on one to get the issues resolved:

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========

11/9/2012 10:54:29 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7009] - A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the lxecCATSCustConnectService service to connect.

11/9/2012 10:54:29 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The lxecCATSCustConnectService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

11/9/2012 10:50:41 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:46:36 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

11/9/2012 10:46:36 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

11/9/2012 10:46:36 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "" in order to run the server: {A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}

11/9/2012 10:46:36 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

11/9/2012 10:46:35 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

11/9/2012 10:46:30 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server: {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD BHDrvx64 ccSet_NAV ccSet_NST cmdGuard cmdHlp DfsC discache eeCtrl IDSVia64 inspect NetBIOS NetBT nsiproxy Psched rdbss SASDIFSV SASKUTIL spldr SRTSPX SymIRON SymNetS tdx vpcnfltr vpcvmm vwififlt Wanarpv6 WfpLwf

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

11/9/2012 10:42:35 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

11/8/2012 9:01:54 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

11/8/2012 9:00:25 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: BHDrvx64 ccSet_NAV ccSet_NST cmdGuard discache eeCtrl IDSVia64 SASDIFSV SASKUTIL spldr SRTSPX SymIRON SymNetS vpcvmm Wanarpv6

==== End Of File ===========================

Please pick one of the options below to get expert help....

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

IMPORTANT: Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions >>Right HERE<<, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification,
    so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
  • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk by filling out the form located >>Right HERE<<

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our Malwarebytes Premium Services, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our Malwarebytes Premium Services support site >>Right HERE<<

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

PS: Please use the "Reply to this Topic" or "More Reply Options" buttons (instead of the “Quote” and “MultiQuote” buttons) when replying here & at the other forums. That will make your topic easier to follow. :)

Firefox, thanks very much for examining my files.

My mbam database definition update problem might have been caused by two missing Norton AntiVirus registry entries for file extensions. I reinstated them from a Ccleaner archive of unused file extensions, and now mbam updates work. I'm not sure the reg keys were the cause, beause I can't easily remove the keys again (in an attempt to reproduce the problem). It seems odd that the keys would have caused the errors you listed in your posting, but maybe they are part of Norton's internet protections.

I'll just stick with the current state unless the problem appears again.

Thanks again for your help.

I may make my own thread next week if the problem doesn't go away before then, but I'm just posting here quick to say I've had trouble updating my definitions database since either Monday or Tuesday. When I start the update, MBAM stops responding for a bit, then eventually updates at a slower rate than usual. Before the problem started occuring, updates would only take a few seconds to download. Now, they take nearly a minute (that's including the time MBAM isn't responding).

There seems to be some problem because I find this behavior is intermittent. Yesterday was fine today its not updating

Hi, MikeW: :)

Since this was/is originally your topic, please go ahead and follow Firefox's suggestions to run both DDS ad mbam-check.

Then please post back here with the logs, so that the experts can try to determine what's going on.

I may make my own thread next week if the problem doesn't go away before then...

Hi, AntP: :)

There are several possible explanations for updating issues (database corruption, software conflict, networking problems, infection, etc).

Each computer is unique.

Since you are the latest among several folks who have joined in to MikeW's topic, and since doing so is going to make it increasingly hard for the MBAM folks to sort things out for each member, please do start your own topic.

When you do, please follow Firefox's instructions >>HERE<< and include the requested logs in your post.

That way, each of you can receive individualized attention in a separate thread.

OR....

If either of you is a paid user of MBAM PRO, you may wish instead to open a ticket with the helpdesk.

The customer support team can be reached here: Contact Customer Support

If you choose this option, please reference this thread by copying/pasting the following code into your helpdesk request:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=117795

Thanks very much,

daledoc1

Since this was/is originally your topic, please go ahead and follow Firefox's suggestions to run both DDS ad mbam-check.

Then please post back here with the logs, so that the experts can try to determine what's going on.

Hi, AntP: :)

There are several possible explanations for updating issues (database corruption, software conflict, networking problems, infection, etc).

Each computer is unique.

Since you are the latest among several folks who have joined in to MikeW's topic, and since doing so is going to make it increasingly hard for the MBAM folks to sort things out for each member, please do start your own topic.

When you do, please follow Firefox's instructions >>HERE<< and include the requested logs in your post.

That way, each of you can receive individualized attention in a separate thread.

OR....

If either of you is a paid user of MBAM PRO, you may wish instead to open a ticket with the helpdesk.

The customer support team can be reached here: Contact Customer Support

If you choose this option, please reference this thread by copying/pasting the following code into your helpdesk request:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=117795

Thanks very much,

daledoc1

This is my topic!!!

Once again the fault is intermitent. Schedule updates are working manual is not.

No disrespect to you but hopefully a member of staff will address this problem which clearly is effecting others as well.

Yes, I'm sure the stafff will be more than happy to help you. :)

(It's unfortunate that others have inadvertently "hijacked" this topic; that's why we helpers try to steer them to open their open topics.)

However, as Firefox first requested in his original reply, the experts will need a bit more information in order to pinpoint the cause and the solution.

"Updating issues" can have many different causes (database corruption, software conflict, networking or connectivity issues, or even malware).

Without the requested DDS and mbam-check logs, it will be impossible for the MBAM staff to determine what the problem might be, so that they can resolve it.

If you don't wish to run and scanners and post the logs here in the forum, then please follow the alternative recommendation to open a support ticket at the helpdesk, referencing this topic in your request.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

Yes, I'm sure the stafff will be more than happy to help you. :)

(It's unfortunate that others have inadvertently "hijacked" this topic; that's why we helpers try to steer them to open their open topics.)

However, as Firefox first requested in his original reply, the experts will need a bit more information in order to pinpoint the cause and the solution.

"Updating issues" can have many different causes (database corruption, software conflict, networking or connectivity issues, or even malware).

Without the requested DDS and mbam-check logs, it will be impossible for the MBAM staff to determine what the problem might be, so that they can resolve it.

If you don't wish to run and scanners and post the logs here in the forum, then please follow the alternative recommendation to open a support ticket at the helpdesk, referencing this topic in your request.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

Please just leave it for a staff member, Thanks

Hello MikeW,

Please do the following:

Create and mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Create a DDS Log:

• Download DDS from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:

[*]Double-click on the copy of DDS you downloaded to run it and it will scan your system, please be patient.

[*]Once it completes it will open 2 logs, DDS.txt and Attach.txt

[*]For each, click on File and click Save As... and save them to your desktop.

[*]Right-click on Attach.txt and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

[*]Copy and paste the entire contents of DDS.txt into your next reply and attach the Attach.zip file you just created to your post.

The above logs may give us an idea of why you're seeing this intermittent issue.

Just in case it will help others.

For me the solution was to remove the existing definitions and then down load a fresh set. All is now working fine.

You're a lifesaver! I just tried it and it's working fine now. No idea what caused the problem to begin with, but thank you for finding a solution.

It seems to be working fine now. I have not done anything except do manual updates. I think it was working if you gave it long enough, it went from a few seconds to update to minutes. As I say its working again in seconds now. This seems to imply it was malwarebytes issue and not any infection. As a check I used AVG and Spybot and Microsoft malicious tool and nothing was found.

@ skinny:

The time required for definitions updates depends on whether one is running MBAM PRO (which has incremental updates) or MBAM Free (which does not).

Even with MBAM PRO, however, if one hasn't updated for several days, then the next database update will be a bit larger, as it will be the entire database, rather than the smaller, incremental update.

Your problem was likely not exactly the same as that experienced by MikeW (which is why it's confusing to have multiple members posting in the same topic).

In any event, I'm glad it's working for you.

@ MikeW:

It sounds as if you experienced minor database corruption, which is among the many possible explanations for updating problems.

Glad it's back to working for you again.

For newcomers reading this topic who are not comfortable manually deleting the definitions, a clean reinstall of MBAM and fresh database update will resolve this.

A clean reinstall is often the easiest way to resolve other, minor issues, too.

If a clean reinstall fails, then the advice still stands to post the DDS and mbam-check logs, to provide sufficient information to allow the MBAM staff/experts to determine the specific cause and solution for the particular computer in question (corruption, software conflict, system configuration, malware, etc).

Instructions for this are in forum moderator Exile360's reply, above >>HERE<< (and in several other replies in this topic, too).

Cheers,

daledoc1