Post-malware, can't update windows

sraedo

Hi, I recently had a bunch of malware on my computer that has since been cleaned, but it appears to have altered my registry. BITS and Automatic Updates has been stopped and won't start, and I noticed that the path to executable says %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

I figured this was the source of the problem and after none of the troubleshooting procedures Microsoft Support offered me worked, I figured I had to edit the registry to fix it. So I backed it up, went to regedit, looked in BITS and went to change the f into a S.

I got the following error message: Error Editing Value Cannot edit ImagePath: Error writing the value's new contents.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I hate to leave my computer outdated and vulnerable after finally getting it cleaned. Thanks!

• Root Admin

IF the Malware is gone you need to change the PERMISSIONS on that registry key.

Start REGEDIT and click on the KEY in question and select PERMISSIONS. Then click ADVANCED then click the OWNER tab and click on ADMINISTRATORS and then put a check mark in the REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS and click APPLY, OK

Then open Permissions again and verify that the ADMINISTRATORS have FULL rights and click OK.

Then try to edit that key again to change it. As long as the MALWARE is GONE you should be able to change it now.

• 1 month later...
IF the Malware is gone you need to change the PERMISSIONS on that registry key.

Start REGEDIT and click on the KEY in question and select PERMISSIONS. Then click ADVANCED then click the OWNER tab and click on ADMINISTRATORS and then put a check mark in the REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS and click APPLY, OK

Then open Permissions again and verify that the ADMINISTRATORS have FULL rights and click OK.

Then try to edit that key again to change it. As long as the MALWARE is GONE you should be able to change it now.

I found this thread during my roughly 10 hours of searching and trying to fix my wife's laptop, which was ridden with Malware. THIS POST WAS THE ONE that saved our computer!!! Created a user account here simply to Thank You so much!

Chris