Scanning a network drive

Howdy all,

I have a small problem with the free version of MWB scanning a network drive.

It scanned the "C" and "D" drives on the PC just fine, and didn't find anything, but when it gets about three quarters through with the "L" network drive MWB freezes up, and not at the same file or location

I have to do an "End Task" via task manager to shut the program down.

Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

The network drive is a Buffalo Systems link station.

Terryl

I guess no one knows how to fix this one.

More info:

I took the network drive off line and removed the hard drive, then set it up on my hard drive test bed, all scans ran just fine, MWB ran all the way to the end, and didnt find a thing, ran all other type tests and found nothing wrong with that drive.

Re-installed the drive and connected it back in to the network, tried a MWB scan of it and it did the same thing, stopped at about 75 to 80% and locked up MWB.

This is a puzzle....????

Anyone have an idea on what to do next?

I will try from a differant PC and differant operating system, the lockup occurs on a PC running XP Pro, will try W7 Ultimate.

• Root Admin

It may not be locking up. Scanning any drive through a network is not recommended as our product is not designed as a flat file scanner. Your antivirus would be much better at scanning any drive that is not directly attached.

It could simply be that the time required to send updates back and forth simply takes way longer than you're willing to wait. It could be that it hits some file or folder with many items to scan or large files to scan but since it has to send meta data back and forth it may appear to time out or could actually time out due to network timeouts.

Try scanning the drive with your antivirus and see if that works better for you.

Updates??? What updates??

As far as waiting it out, I started the scans at or around 11PM, in the morning around 9AM, the scan was not done, it lockes up the malwarebyte program running on that PC, you can't do anything with that program, you have to do a program shutdown via task manager to stop MWB, and as far as a network time out I don't think so, it is a 1000 Mbps network, never had a network timeout with that speed.

If your product is not suted for a scan on an attached network drive, then why does it put them in the scanable drives list?

Please scan with your antivirus and post back the log

Been there, done that, read my #2 post, virus scan found nothing, MWB found nothing, (using the test setup) and I don't have a log of that scan available.

• Root Admin

No, you said you removed it and scanned it locally. While it is connected normally as a NAS device scan it with your antivirus and see if it works or not.

There is no inherently known issue that I'm aware of. I'm simply trying to assist you with your request.

If our program does not scan your NAS device there is nothing I'm aware of to make it complete the scan.