Anti-Malware incompatible with MS Security Essentials...

Hello,

Is Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400 fully compatible with MS Security Essentials under Windows XP SP3?

With an old laptop, I got a system freeze at bootup, just when the first icon (MBAM) appears in the system task bar.

Without any error message the system hangs (only the touchpad cursor moves) and the only way is to power it off.

I have been obliged to uninstall MBAM in safe mode.

During MBAM and MSE installation, everything was good and no virus or malware was found.

:blink:

Yes they are compatible with each other, that being said, on some computers exceptions are required. You can try entering the exceptions below and see if this helps with your system.

Instructions can be found in our FAQ HERE.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Hello to you at Malwarebytes!

I have every reason to be grateful to the Malwarebytes anti-malware software. Last week a combination of 8 Exploit:Java//CVE and Trojan 0Access infections attacked my Windows Vista laptop, apparently simultaneously, and destroyed my Microsoft Security Essentials protection, leaving it glowing bright red, beaten and battered. I had to uninstall it but fortunately I was able to reinstall it after several attempts. Malwarebytes then found and destroyed five of the infections and MSE got the other three. A couple of days ago a similar thing happened, but on a smaller scale. Malwarebytes destroyed those for me too.

Here's the question. I was going to buy Malwarebytes Pro but I've been reading the FAQs and the question immediately above, and I see that running MWB in tandem with MSE might cause the computer to freeze. Does this also occur with Malwarebytes Pro? I've seen the page where there are instructions on how to fix this but, honestly, I can't follow it. The simple fact is that when it comes to computers I'm an imbecile. Sad but true.

I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to offer.

Many thanks.

• Staff

Hi Bewildered99,

I'm running MSE and Malwarebytes with no issues. I don't even have to add the exclusions as described above. In some cases it may be necessary to add exclusions (on both programs) to each other so that they will play nice.

Even in these cases, it's often true that other performance issues are to blame (old hardware, etc.), so your situation may differ depending on the computer, but I've installed MBAM and MSE on many computers with no issues. :)

If you do encounter any issues, we offer free support for you here, and we will do our best to make sure you are happy with our software.

Regards,

Many thanks for that, Chris. I'm perfectly happy to pay for it - that's not the problem. But if something goes wrong I'll be in trouble because even the terms used here (what the hell is a registry, anyway?) make me feel quite nauseous!

Still, I'll give it a go because I know Malwarebytes is good stuff.

Regards from old England to New.

Nigel

• Root Admin

Well no one knows everything there is to know about computers but there is certainly a wealth of information online that can help one to learn quite a bit about computers.

What is the Windows Registry?

Windows Registry - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Computer and Internet acronyms

List of computing and IT abbreviations

Glossary of computer terms

Getting to know a computer

Computers - HowStuffWorks