Turn off website blocking without the grey icon?

Hi!

I do domain blocking on my router using a script; I also don't like MBAM's website blocker and have always just turned it off.

Now, with the new version, the icon turns gray when I do! How do I tell MBAM not to show an inactive status when the website blocker is turned off? I only want it to warn me if the active scanner is disabled for some reason.

Please help?

Thanks

Hi: :)

I'm afraid not.

This recent post by forum mod, Exile360, explains why: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=598126

No, what you're seeing is normal. Previously the icon did only turn gray when Filesystem Blocking was disabled. We changed that behavior in 1.65 deliberately since our protection module is composed of 2 components (Filesystem Blocking and Website Blocking). Based on that, the behavior you describe is normal and expected.

The IP blocking component of MBAM PRO is one of its most powerful features. :)

Disabling it reduces by half the effectiveness of the program.

If you are having problems with it (perhaps frequent balloon notifications of blocks because of Skype, P2P programs, or other reasons?), there is usually an easy resolution.

If you could explain your problems, I'm sure someone would be able to help you to configure it without disabling it. :)

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi and thanks for replying!

I'm sure this is a very useful and well-liked feature for many, just not for me. I'm not saying that it's not effective or powerful -- just that I think it's better to give the user a choice in how the program operates (we're not Microsoft, here!).

It's pretty common for people to employ domain blocking at the gateway or server; in this case, disabling the blocker has a positive effect because it's function is largely redundant and just interferes with something else that's better suited to the user's needs =/ . Unfortunately, this is the issue I'm running into.

It's not that I'm having a problem with the software that I couldn't work out on my own (I like MBAM, 'tis why I paid for it :) ), I just prefer that something else does this particular job.

Are you sure there isn't a reg or hex edit I can perform to turn this behavior off? If so, please PM me...I'm pretty saavy with computers and can do so without breaking my OS or MBAM. I don't care about the blocker, but I certainly want a legitimate warning if the active scanner should malfunction. Can anyone help me? Can I at least put in a feature request?

• Root Admin

No it is not possible to change the tray icon to appear to be fully protected when you're not. I will submit a request for perhaps a different color scheme as it has within the program interface but it will never be full red when one of the modules are not enabled.

As for you blocking at your router that is good but I can tell you that it is highly unlikely that your script knows about and blocks anywhere near the amount of sites that our built-in program does as it is modified and updated multiple times a day as new sites are located or found to be clean and removed from protection.

Its certainly up to you how you want to use the program but I don't see why one would not continue doing as you're doing (blocking at the perimeter, though I'd have to disagree on how common that is. Business yes, some very advanced home users yes but that does not make it a common practice.), and also run the Web blocker from Malwarebytes which would give you even better protection.

If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Thank you

Hi AdvS,

Thanks for replying & for submitting a feature request. I think that a color scheme indicating partial protection is a great idea.

I suppose you're right; my particular setup wouldn't be so common in a home setting. However, there are a lot of ways to do the same thing on the client-end, e.g., other software, host-file edits, etc.; I just think it would be good to give the user an option to choose his own solution without causing him alarm by coloring his "M" deathly pale. :)

My script does update itself from various lists of bad domains; it's not as convenient or easy as the website blocker but it meets the needs of my network.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the blocker in some months. I'll turn it on for a week to see what it does these days.

Thanks for your help, both you!

Cheers

-Faraway

• 2 months later...

Hi: :)

I'm afraid not.

This recent post by forum mod, Exile360, explains why: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=598126

The IP blocking component of MBAM PRO is one of its most powerful features. :)

Disabling it reduces by half the effectiveness of the program.

If you are having problems with it (perhaps frequent balloon notifications of blocks because of Skype, P2P programs, or other reasons?), there is usually an easy resolution.

If you could explain your problems, I'm sure someone would be able to help you to configure it without disabling it. :)

HTH,

daledoc1

I have the registered version of Malwarebytes and can no longer tick the Website Blocking Module. Cannot place a check mark in it, therefore my icon stays gray and the program is not doing it's job.