Please allow me to add my own custom IPs the 'Ignore list'!

Please allow me to do this. Malwarebytes often blocks a lot of websites that I use with no warning and it's quite hard to find out if it really is Malwarebytes doing it or something else because there is no alert in the browser that Malwarebytes is responsible for the page not loading.

I know there is a way to right click the 'tooltip balloon' that appears when an IP is blocked but sometimes it doesn't appear. So please allow me to do it manually!

Something like this please:

It's important that you allow us to create exceptions for the sites we commonly use.

I've been waiting many updates for something like this but it has never come, and it's long overdue.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Image removed per user request

I think one has to incur the block by visiting the website/IP in question in order to enable that?

• How can I add an IP so it won't be detected and can access a site I need to?
  • Visit the site and incur an IP block. Then right-click on the Malwarebytes system-tray icon after the block notification appears, and choose Add to Ignore List.

FAQ-Section G

Hey ShyWriter. You can still do that, but the thing is. Sometimes the tooltip that is supposed to appear 'before you can click that greyed out option' doesn't appear. Thus the option stays greyed out.

Also that option only allows us to allow IPs that are flagged in the first place. I want to allow my own IPs. Because the system isn't perfect and some sites that I go to don't incur the popup, tooltip.

The bloody FAQs are out-of-date on a lot of items DD.. I "think" if we missed the balloon we could go to the MBAMPro LOG and get the IP from it and THEN add it to MBAMPro.. The reason a site is blocked is to keep us FROM VISITING the bad site.

My point exactly ShyWriter. We absolutely need the ability to add IPs manually to the list. At our own risk of course, but it's still a valid point. There are only a handful of sites that I use that conflict with the 'website blocking' feature of Malware bytes.

Nice suggestion, in the meantime I see you are using the PRO version of Malwarebytes. Do you have the Show tooltip balloon when malicious website is blocked unchecked in your Protection settings tab?

Malwarebytes will notify you if a site is blocked in the system tray. I suspect you may have that option turned off since I see you are also using uTorrent which would cause a lot of notifications while you are downloading using the P2P program.

I plead old age senility. :P I can't remember things so well these days. I stand corrected. That's why I use a firewall; and I *can* add IPs to a "blacklist".. A lot of the members here also use HOSTSMAN, which uses lists from many sites to maintain a HOSTS file that prevents users from going to any site on the lists and you can add additional sites to that list. In fact, that's probably where I mixed myself up.. I no longer use HOSTSMAN myself, but I do use Online Armor (firewall) and MBAMPro for site-blocking.

Sorry for any confusion I caused; and Daledoc1 / FAQ-G are probably correct - she's pretty sharp on the MBAM system stuff.. :)

Steve

Hey there. I have the option turned on. It's just that sometimes I don't get balloons for some sites. I've managed to add exceptions for 4 out of 6 of the sites that I want to view by incuring a block and then choosing to ignore it. However the last 2 sites that don't display at all, and instead display fine instantly after I turn off the 'website blocking' feature. For some reason they don't incur a 'balloon' but do incur a block... :(

On top of that, while using uTorrent I also get a lot of block messages, they don't bother me. But while the feature is called 'Website blocking' it also blocks a lot of traffic from other programs. Here is an example:

34s5xsl.png

Maybe the feature should be renamed 'IP blocking' to avoid confusion.

It is working as designed here on my computer.

If I go to http://iptest.malwarebytes.org I incur a notification block and then I can add it to the ignor list from the system tray.

At this time you can only manually add files from your local computer to the ignor list and not IP numbers to websites. You have to do the IP through the system tray.

uTorrent will cause a lot of blocks due to the fact that some of the peers that you connect to are hosted at sites that are know to contain Malware. Malwarebytes is doing its job as intended in this case. I personally do not like to add sites to the ignore list until its been verified by the folks here at Malwarebytes as a false positive.

I rather be safe than sorry.

My point exactly ShyWriter. We absolutely need the ability to add IPs manually to the list. At our own risk of course, but it's still a valid point. There are only a handful of sites that I use that conflict with the 'website blocking' feature of Malware bytes.

If you think the sites are safe, then please submit the info to the Research Team, so that they can be evaluated for removal from the block list.

To do so, please read the instructions here: IP Blocking False Positives

And then submit the requested info here: False Positives

• I got an alert for an IP or website I think is safe, how can I report it?
  • If you find a site being blocked, and either don't know why, or are sure it's safe, please report it to us at the False Positive Forum.
    IMPORTANT: When posting false postive reports, please ensure you post both the IP address affected, and if applicable, the domain name (e.g. example.com).

Also from the FAQ:

• I received a notification on a safe site, why?
  • If a notification is presented on a safe site, and the site loads, it is likely the site was loading content that is hosted on an IP known for malicious activity. In this case, the site itself will be displayed perfectly fine, with the malicious content being blocked. If however, the site does not load, it is likely the site is also hosted on the same malicious IP address. It is also entirely possible that the site in question, shares it's IP address with other malicious domains. IP's and IP ranges are blocked if they are either dedicated to malicious content, or have a higher proportion of malicious content, than non-malicious. So for example, if 1.2.3.4 contains 1000 sites and over 50% are malicious, then 1.2.3.4 will be blocked (and even then, if we can get the hosting company to take down the malicious sites, then even better as we do not like blocking shared IP's or IP ranges if we don't have to).

OTOH, as ShyWriter mentions, the IPs that MBAM blocks are blocked for a reason.

So, adding a known unsafe IP to the Ignore List would create a security vulnerability.

And, as ShyWriter also mentioned, MBAM is not intended to be a firewall.

The FAQ KB explains it here: Is the IP blocker in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO a firewall?

Having said all that, I'm sure one of the MBAM staff will have some official feedback on the particular feature you're requesting. :)

Thanks for your patience, :)

daledoc1

The sites that I use, that come up as blocked in Malwarebytes of the 7. 3 are torrent sites. Which are known to have lots of dangerous material on them, but I use them anyway and I know my way around. 3 are forums. 1 is a video host.

All of them have been sucessfully added as exceptions except for 2 of the 3 torrent sites I use :(

I'll just continue to disable the module when I need to browse them.

The thing is, some of these sites aren't safe that I go to. But I visit them anyway because only certain aspects of them are not safe, and if I don't browse to those areas, then I don't have to worry about problems.

I know that Malwarebytes has saved me a lot of heartache but I have a Firewall and an AV in addition to Malwarebytes and since having all 3 I have concurrently never had any problems with malware on my machine. Even whilst turning off the website protection module on the few sites that I cannot add an exception for.

Hi:

Filesharing/downloading from unknown sources is one of the leading causes of transmission of malware.

Continued use of filesharing or ill-advised downloads will surely infect your system:

Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

P2P file sharing: Know the risks

So, it pretty much defeats the purpose of running MBAM PRO, with its powerful IP blocking module, if one opts to disable the entire module while engaging in filesharing from risky sites. :(

If the popup balloons are a problem, then it's easy to disable that feature: Why does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware block BitTorrent or other Peer to Peer Clients? It will still leave the IP blocking in place.

OTOH, If you insist on visiting known unsafe websites/IPs that MBAM blocks because of malicious content, then that's definitely your choice. :)

Once again, having said all that, I'm sure the MBAM staff will have some official feedback about your specific browser notification suggestion. :)

Cheers!

daledoc1