mse updating problem yet again

fivealive

so the issue is back and i havnt been able to get windows updates or mse to update for an bout an hour now on all computers in the house AND factory resetting/rebooting modem has done nothing this time and neither has rebooting my computer.

i just cant figure it out.

of note itclaims to be searching for updates. but it finishs the search instantly and it doesnt change the time of last update check.

and i cant find anything on google either.

iv tried flushing the dns and and ip renew and nothing.

EDIT:

one thing iv noticed is when i click on the update button trustedinstaller.exe

doesnt run at all and its suposed to when i click on mse update. it does run though when i go to windows update and tell it to check for updates

• Staff

Hi fivealive :)

Please do the following, this is the one most likely to fix the issues. Keep in mind that among other things, it's going to delete your Windows Update history, so don't be alarmed when it's suddenly empty and don't worry, Windows Update will still correctly detect which updates you've already installed:

Run the Windows Update Reset Tool:

• Please download the Windows Update Reset Tool from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click the MicrosoftFixit50202 to begin
  • Follow the onscreen instructions and run it in Agressive Mode
  • Reboot your computer if asked to do so
  • Let me know in your next reply if the issue is corrected

so im running this on windows xp first

and ran the tool rebooted told mse to update and it spent more hten a second looking for an update but that time for definitions last updated didnt change (its always changed when checking even if their isnt an update)

ill run it on windows 7 in a few and see what happens

so iv just finished running it on windows 7 machine and i told it to look for updates and it did a search longer then less then a second BUT it still didnt change that timer thingy on the bright side second search on windows 7 took seconds too

the windows xp machine second time i pushed update right after the first oen was over before it began.

so i think this might have fixed the issue on windows 7 (cant tell because i manually downloaded the update like an hour ago to try and fix the issue)

third push of the update button on windows 7 in MSE caused it to finish teh search in seconds

and on another note for some reason when i click show all processes in task manager the UAC pops up asking me for permission

• Staff

third push of the update button on windows 7 in MSE caused it to finish teh search in seconds

That's normal. If you just checked for updates, it caches it I believe, so the check goes much faster.

and on another note for some reason when i click show all processes in task manager the UAC pops up asking me for permission

That's normal, at least for Vista. Check your UAC settings and verify that it didn't change your UAC settings (should be the second one down if using Windows 7). Also, if you're a non-admin user (Standard/Limited user account), then I believe the UAC prompt is normal.

oh forgot to mention windows update on windows 7 does at least check for updates as far as i can tell ( it showed their was 4 optional updates AND it gave me a time of last check)

Good, it sounds like it's fixed :).