Anonymous email with http://agencia26.com.br/hghkljlnbjvcjl.php?lehcampID=56 link embdded

Thanks for those responses guys. However I think I probably misled you by asking about the http://agencia26.com link whereas my b-i-l has had many emails with different topics all sent from his address book to people like me.

So regardless of the link, I mentioned it because it was topical i.e. within the last two days, I need to know how to get rid of the malware which is picking up his contact address book and sending everyone within it random BS emails ? I've given him the Malwarebytes dl link before and he's scanned his PC with it but to no avail. I have today suggested he tries a full scan in Safe Mode to see if that helps !

I think what I'm trying to understand is where does this sort of virus reside on the PC and why does MWB (free version) not pick it up ?

It is a common misperception that all malicious software are viruses. The overarching concept of all malicious software is malware. All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses.

The problem you have is not always the domain of malware. Most often Today it isn't. It can be represented by someone who uses a Webmail account (Yahoo, HotMail, etc.) and the email account is compromised. This is a case where a malicious actor has obtained the credentials of said email account and can use it to broadcast spam and/or harvest addresses from that account's address book.

The credentials of the email account can be compromised in a few ways.

* Malware on the account holder's computer such as keyloggers and data/password stealers.

* The web site of the webmail server is compromised or a system representing the email accounts is compromised.

* The person whose account is in question fell for a Phishing or Spear-Phishing exploit.

In the case of malware, it would reside on the computer of the owner of the email account, not the recipient. In that case it would be in the class of keyloggers and data/password stealers or an actual spam bot.

In that case the owner of the email account should scan using his/her's fully installed anti virus application, Malwarebytes and maybe one or two other "On Demand" anti malware scanners. The owner of the email account should immediately change said account's password and make it a Strong Password.

HTH

Please note that while I could have posted a URL, it is not my intention to promote my CareWare utility on Malwarebytes' forum.

It merely stems from my recommendation to use On Demand scanners that reside on the PC and not ones dependent on a Browser and web page to be open. That's the kind of scanners I have integrated into my utility.