Malwarebytes stops responding during scans

Hi. When I try to run a quick/full scan, malwarebytes stops responding after a minute or two and basically freezes my computer. This doesn't happen in safe mode. I tried following the tips in section L in the FAQ several times but it still freezes. I use avira internet security 2012 so I figured that it might be interfering with mbam and added: mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe as exceptions in both the realtime protection and system scanner but it doesn't seem to help. I'm a bit worried that it might be caused by malware as I got infected with the ukash virus recently but removed it by rebooting into safe mode and downloading and running mbam. Since then I've run full scans with avira, eset, spybot, and superantispyware which have all come back clean so I doubt the freezing is caused by malware.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi. When I try to run a quick/full scan, malwarebytes stops responding after a minute or two and basically freezes my computer. <snip> I'm a bit worried that it might be caused by malware as I got infected with the ukash virus recently but removed it by rebooting into safe mode and downloading and running mbam. <snip>

Hi, D37: :)

Well, if you've already done the troubleshooting from the FAQ - Section L (I assume your hard drive was OK?), and if you recently had a serious infection, it's possible there are some malware remnants and/or some lingering system damage.

Today's infections can be hard to find and hard to completely eradicate.

It usually requires the use of powerful tools with expert guidance.

I would suggest that you have a qualified malware expert check your system.

We cannot work on malware removal in this sub-section of the forum, so please read below for assistance with cleaning your system.

IMPORTANT: Please do NOT use any temporary file cleaners unless instructed to do so - they can cause data loss, making recovery difficult.

-->There are some excellent, self-help tutorials on getting MBAM to run on an infected system in the FAQ: HERE.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE EXPERT HELP WITH MALWARE REMOVAL, PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING 3 OPTIONS:

OPTION 1: Free, one-on-one, expert assistance in the Malware Removal Forum.

OPTION 2: For licensed users of MBAM PRO, there is free, one-on-one, expert assistance from the MBAM support helpdesk.

OPTION 3: Fee-based, one-on-one, expert assistance from Premium Support.

OPTION 1:

• Please print out, read and carefully follow the instructions in the "I'm Infected - What Do I Do Now?" sticky topic.
  • -->If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot complete some or all of the steps, then just do the best you can and start a new topic as described below.
  • Then please start a new post in the Malware Removal Forum.
  • An authorized, trained malware expert will provide free, one-on-one assistance as soon as one becomes available.

• -->>When starting your new post, please note the following:<<--
  • Please do NOT post in a topic started by someone else, even if their problem sounds similar.
  • Please COPY/PASTE the requested logs directly into your post, rather than attaching them.
  • Under options, please be sure to select "track this topic" and "immediate email notification", so you'll know when a helper responds.
  • Please be patient - it may be 48 hours or more before a helper can assist you, especially when the forum is very busy.
  • Please do NOT "bump" your topic or reply back to it for at least 48 hours.
  • Doing so may cause your topic to be overlooked, as it will appear that you are already being helped.

OPTION 2:

If you are a paid user of MBAM PRO and would like support via the helpdesk, please contact them HERE.

OPTION 3:

If you prefer the Malwarebytes Premium Services (comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs – from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Premium Support site HERE.

Please be patient – someone will assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much,

daledoc1

Hi daledoc1. I assumed my hard drive was ok because when running chkdsk I didn't notice any error messages or similar which I assumed I would get if there was a problem. I will run it again just to make sure and get back to you. Thanks for your help.

Hi:

Note: You may need to run CHKDSK more than once in some cases
:)

Also, don't forget step 3 (disk defrag). :)

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention -- what AV are you running and have you set the mutual exclusions between it and MBAM?

(Instructions are in the FAQ.)

If none of this works, given the history of a recent infection, then the safest/most efficient bet will be to have one of the experts check the computer and assist you in the proper area (either the malware removal section or the helpdesk).

Keep us posted,

daledoc1

Hi again. Sorry for the late reply. I re-ran chkdsk twice and both times it said zero damaged sectors at the end. I also re-ran defrag as instructed in the faq and got the same message as last time. I took a screen capture of it along with avira to show what I have set as exceptions. It can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/TIWX7.jpg. In MBAM I've put C:\Program Files\Avira in the ignore list. That should be it, right? Btw I forgot to mention last time that the quick search works occasionally but it freezes most of the time. The full search always freezes.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention -- what AV are you running and have you set the mutual exclusions between it and MBAM?

(Instructions are in the FAQ.)

I have avira internet security 2012.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hi, D37:

OK, so, just to clarify, MBAM Quick Scans are running OK and are clean?

But MBAM Full scans are freezing?

Thanks for the info about your AV -- yes, MBAM and Avira both need to have their mutual exclusions set, to reduce the chance of a possible conflict.

Normally, at this point, we would ask for some logs from the DDS scanner tool.

The experts would then review them and determine if it's a software conflict, infection or some other issue.

Having said that, since you've done much of the routine troubleshooting, since you were recently infected, and since the first step in the cleanup process is posting those same DDS logs, I'd probably revert back to my original suggestion to have one of the qualified experts check your system and, if need be, help with cleaning it of any hidden malware remnants.

So, please select one of the 3 options in this post: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=597499 A qualified helper will provide in-depth, one-on-one expert assistance.

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi, D37:

OK, so, just to clarify, MBAM Quick Scans are running OK and are clean?

But MBAM Full scans are freezing?

daledoc1

To clarify: In safe mode, both quick scan and full scan are able to run without a problem and they come back clean; in normal mode: full scan always freezes after 1-2 mins and quick scans freezes most of the time but occassionally completes the scan without freezing.

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated. I will open a new topic tomorrow in the removal-forum and see if anybody there can help.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

The info you've just provided, along with the DDS logs, in your new post over there will get you started.

If you want, you can provide for your malware helper in your new post a link back to this topic; just copy/paste the code below into your new post.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=115890

There's no need to wait to post, per se.

The forum is pretty busy anyway.

So, even if you post now with the logs, it might be tomorrow before a helper becomes available to pick up your topic.

But, it's up to you -- whatever works best for you, of course. :)

Thanks and good luck -- the experts ought to be able to get you back up and running smoothly,

daledoc1