Instead of the registry error during start up on Safe Mode, I'm getting the error message that we were trying to fix before I screwed up the computer.

This is the error message we were trying to fix and the one that I'm getting. I can't do anything to fix the registry unless I get into Safe Mode and I can't fix Safe Mode without fixing the registry! Unless you know something I don't (which is quite likely!).

"STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found} The procedure entry point RtlExtendHeap could notbe located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

OK, there's nothing I can do until you can get the computer to boot from the cd.

See if you can borrow someones Windows cd or any other bootable cd and try again to get it to boot from the cd.

Let me know.....MrC

This won't help but... this is the message I'm getting

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory.

I understand, we can fix that but you have to be able to boot form a cd which for some reason you can't.

That's why I suggest you try the cd in another computer to see if it's bootable and then keep plying around with the bios settings to see if you can get it to boot off the cd.

MrC

Good news and bad news. My aunt and uncle have recovery disks for a computer running Windows 7. I wanted to upgrade my operating system anyway but doing so will erase all the files I wanted to save.

How are you going to install a new operating system? You can't get the computer to boot from a cd.

If you can get the computer to boot from from the W7 cd then it should boot to the OTLPE disk?

Also those disk won't work on your computer, they'll only work on the computer they came with. MrC

Well I'm guessing that the OTLPE CD isn't "high quality" and that's why it's not booting from the disk. I have another 2 blank disks but I don't know if they're "high quality". How do you tell? And why won't the W7 disks work on my computer?

Right now I have the computer loading files from the first disk. Will this erase everything I want to save?

I stopped it and I tryed burning the OTLPE to another disk. Can I try this disk to see if it works?

It didn't work and I used the same settings. What does OTLPE do? I wan't to test it on a different computer but I don't want to screw it up. I can't help but feel the type of CD is the problem. What type do I need?

It didn't work and I used the same settings. What does OTLPE do?

It's going to install an operating system over windows that will allow you to access windows and do what ever you want to.

I wan't to test it on a different computer but I don't want to screw it up.

You won't screw it up, it makes no changes to the computer

I can't help but feel the type of CD is the problem. What type do I need?

Any writable cd should do.

MrC

OK, I'm going to test it on another computer. I only ask about the CD because I heard some "low quality" disks may not work right. By the way, when I click the link to download OTLPE, do I save it to the disk and then write it or should I save it to the desktop and then write it on the disk?

By the way, when I click the link to download OTLPE, do I save it to the disk and then write it or should I save it to the desktop and then write it on the disk?

You save the disk to your hard drive.

Then put a cd-r into your burner

Now double click on the OTLPE file you downloaded and that should automatically burn the cd.

If that doesn't happen then you're doing something wrong.

MrC

I'm giving up on OTLPEStd.exe Is there anywhere I can take it to so I can look at the hard drive to save what I want? I'm just going to download Windows 7 when I'm done. Will that get rid of that damn virus?

You can make a Puppy Linux disk:

http://www.puppylinux.com/

You have to create it with a program like Active@ ISO Burner:

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

After installing Active@ ISO Burner, just download Puppy Linux (which is an ISO file) to your hard drive.

Double click on the ISO file and Active@ ISO Burner should automatically open and burn the cd.

Now boot the computer up with Puppy Linux cd and you should be able to navigate Windows.

Why don't you just navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT and run ERDNT.exe (leave the default settings that come up)

That will restore the registry and the computer should now boot up.

I'm just going to download Windows 7 when I'm done.

I'd like to know where you plan on doing this??

MrC

I installed Active@ ISO Burner but the download page for PuppyLinux is confusing for me. Can you give me the URL you trust most so I can download PuppyLinux?