Is XP AntiVirus 2009 Vista Compatible?

Yeah... Although to be fair, those of us familair with computers can easily tell that a popup is malicious, but it may not be so evident for people who don't use computers that much. Things like the popup set to a different theme as windows, the fact that it opens within a browser etc are dead giveaways, but some people just don't know what to look for, and can't tell the difference between stuff like windows warning you your firewall is off, and a popup claiming you have problems.

The thing that amazes me the most isn't that they think the popups are legit, its that they don't do a little research before downloading programs. Heck, when I first heard of MBAM I googled around a bit before I decided it was safe to download.

I had a custermer who's bank called them saying they were cleaning out his credit card , by recharging a lump sum of $150 to his card, i think they halted it at about 4 hits, but hey what can you say to it, it dose look real, and most would not know it was a virus.

• 2 months later...

Well said!

I too do research before I download, especially after having had some experience with nasty computer bugs!

A friend on another forum I go to suggested that I use Malwarebytes when I posted about my problem. She told me that her sister had used it and that it cleaned up her laptop good! I had found a reference and suggestion to use Malwarebytes on several forums, including Yahoo answers, but I must admit that I was a little skeptical (like I am with most things that people suggest you download) until she recommended it to me. I trusted it because she has recommended it to me and had someone with a good experience with it, versus finding it in a random search online. I didn't use the link that she gave me though, I did a google search and found Malwarebytes.org, read about it on the site, decided it was safe, and then downloaded it from here (which directed me to download.com which hopefully is safe!) After a few weeks of using it I found these boards and finally joined about two weeks ago.

I am so grateful that she recommended it to me and now I recommend it to others as well! Malwarebytes is amazing and I am glad to have found it ;)

Yeah... Although to be fair, those of us familair with computers can easily tell that a popup is malicious, but it may not be so evident for people who don't use computers that much. Things like the popup set to a different theme as windows, the fact that it opens within a browser etc are dead giveaways, but some people just don't know what to look for, and can't tell the difference between stuff like windows warning you your firewall is off, and a popup claiming you have problems.

The thing that amazes me the most isn't that they think the popups are legit, its that they don't do a little research before downloading programs. Heck, when I first heard of MBAM I googled around a bit before I decided it was safe to download.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure he was just putting on a show and not serious/ but pretending to be. At least I hope.

When I was at a computer shop A while back thought one of the people came in and said Hi I have a problem with my computer I paid for XP Anti Virus 2009 and it wont update and it says I still have Trojans can you guys update it.

I had to turn away it was to funny. One of the guys told him to get a new credit card cause he's been scammed.

This was along time ago when I was 16 or So during the summer sort of volunteer working with one of my dads friends for experience in the field wasn't quite the filed I wanted but fun non the less. (I am going to be taking Programming Computer Science In University Soon)

• 3 weeks later...

once scam i saw was a pretty darn clever if you can call a scam clever;

hxxp://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31105

quote;

"this is a very clever con trick - what they are selling is not software but a membership to a website, as the invoice says:

You have purchased: 3 Year VIP Membership and 1 Extra Features

The website (2008search-destroy.com) is deliberately misleading - using the product name and a very similar fingerprint logo - and is designed to make it appear they are providing Spybot as a product when in fact they are only recommending free software.

If you actually read the Terms and Conditions on the site it all becomes clear:

Quote:

Internet Download Store Services

Internet Download Store makes no claim to ownership or other control or rights to any software recommended by Internet Download Store or its agents. All software recommendations refer to either "Freeware" or software that is otherwise available without charge to individuals at large for specific purposes. None of the charges assessed to members of Internet Download Store entitle You, as a Purchaser to any ownership, licensing rights or recourse with regard to use of the software other than those rights offered by the software owners or licensees. The fees and charges assessed by Internet Download Store represent recurring monthly club membership fees which entitle You as a Purchaser to access to the location, evaluation, and or recommendation of those software products available from the web site and for the information provided to purchasers.

This could keep the lawyers tied up for some time."

as for the joke well with the best awaser being yes all trojans ect..

think they where joking them selves.

this reason is the one thing that makes me happy that my Grandpa doesn't have the internet... if he did I'd probably be at his house every weekend cleaning it up....