registry defragmentaters.

Arnold72

• Root Admin

A few recommended articles to read on registry cleaners and I'm sure there is discussion probably in one of the postings.

1. An often posted and quoted article, Ed Bott's Why I don't use registry cleaners
  2. Older article quoting two MVPS's, but relevant still is Do I need a Registry Cleaner?
  3. AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?
  4. miekiemoes' Blog Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Window 7 is easy to re-install and fast. If you want a good registry, re-install it. I use to rely on JV16 Powertools to maintain my registry until one day, someone in the company decided to flag all Text Files at Temporary. Needless to say. I don't use it anymore, I just start over again and since I use image Backups, I never have to start that far back.

Hi, Arnold72:

EDIT: Never mind! It appears that AdvancedSetup has posted the "definitive" resources, even as I was typing. :)

Also, in addition to DHL's advice, please see here:

http://forums.malwar...showtopic=92528 -- lots of helpful advice and links to warnings about such programs.

(Unfortunately, only members with at least 50 posts will be able to view this particular topic,)

My personal opinion is to avoid anything that supposedly boosts registry performance. Whether it be a cleaner or defragmenter messing with the registry can cause damage to your computer. The Windows Defragmenter does everything you need so you really shouldn't need a third party solution.

i agree with some of the others here ...

the registry is about the last place you want to be in or mess around with if you are a typical "end user" ; it is not for the faint of heart .

i liken it to the main and rod bearings/journals in a 429 cobra jet engine ;

a typical "end user" (driver) would do more harm than good ... and that is in just tearing it down to that level .