what's with theplanet hosting rogue sites?

Kernel Krumpet

First time user. First post - Hi y'all..

First, many many thanks to whoever produces this software. Outstanding!

Second:

I emailed abuse at theplanet dot com today and let them know about their hosting a half dozen or so pretty obvious - to me - rogue software sites:

***** Warning: Rogue Malware sites below ******

antispyware.com

regsweep.com

errorsmart.com

adwarebot.com/

registryclear.com/

malwareremovalbot.com/

registryfox.com/

antispyware2008.com/

adwarefree.com/

To cut a long story short, their final reply to me via email at the end of the day was:

***** Replies below are from theplanet dot com *******

"..., this domain (antispyware.com) is genuine, and was never involved in the aforementioned activity that has been ongoing the past few years..."

"......As previously stated, we have determined these domains to be legitimate. You suggested that we download the software from these sites and review it's content - we have done this. However, if you would like to test this yourself, we encourage you to do so. Given the general tone of your report, we believe that you would have the technical knowledge to do so in a manner that you felt comfortable with in regards to your systems security. Please let us know if you have any further concerns....."

What's with that?

Thanks.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed LIVE links. Please don't post livel inks to Malware in Public forum

Sadly TP servers have been home to malicious sites for years, and they're not exactly quick to deal with them when notified.

In addition, whilst WhoIs will always show The Planet as the owners, TP also have servers in their datacenter that are actually owned by other companies, in these cases, TP will not deal with them (though they should at least point you in the direction of the company that does own the server). For example, I've currently got 4545 domains in my database on The Planet's IP range, but not all of them are on TP owned servers.

Sadly TP servers have been home to malicious sites for years, and they're not exactly quick to deal with them when notified.

In addition, whilst WhoIs will always show The Planet as the owners, TP also have servers in their datacenter that are actually owned by other companies, in these cases, TP will not deal with them (though they should at least point you in the direction of the company that does own the server). For example, I've currently got 4545 domains in my database on The Planet's IP range, but not all of them are on TP owned servers.

Yes, Sadly, is indeed the operative word.

Still, as an IT systems tech. I shoudn't complain too loudly - 'tis not bad bread-and-butter on the do-re-mi end of things!

Still, if I wasn't skirmishing with malware I'd no doubt be trying to create IE6 compatible websites - with all that extra time. I'll take the malware removal task!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

No worries <_<

Still use IE6 for the laptop as it cries for any of the newer versions (tis a good thing really, can't stand IE7 anyway, and not going near IE8 till it's out of beta and they've properly filtered the "Similar Sites" feature to remove malicious sites)