Sign in to follow this  
B00kwyrm

\HP\finalvbto executable

Here's the story...

Neice's computer. Kids got a crapload of crap via gamesites. Mostly (PUP.MyWebSearch).

I pulled the drive, put it in an external (sata to usb) enclosure, and started running diagnostics, including MBAM.

MBAM cleared these, no problem, but also flagged this particular file as a trojan. (supect it is a false positive)

• F:\hp\finalvbto.exe (Trojan.Bat.Disabler) -> No action taken. [b1044afa0d503105055fc15fba4627d9]

I think this could be a legitimate HP program,

but since the computer is out of warranty, I do not have access to the same support,

Only resort is the community forums, and so far have not received helpful replies there.

So far, I have not been able to prove anything one way or the other, but I don't want to lose the file if it is legitimate.

What I have learned is that virscan.org has checked a file by this name (not certain it is the same, but...)

and a FEW of the virus checkers are flagging it.

The vast majority are not flagging it, including those I most trust.

You can see the report here.

So... per instructions, (still on my win7(64) machine with the questionable drive in the external enclosure),

I reran MBAM, and I will attach that log, as well as a zip of the file in question.

FYI... I have also run the following Virus /Malware scans, (in this order) which also are not flagging this file.

• Microsoft Security Essentials
  • ESET's Online Scan
  • Trend Micro Client/Server Security Agent

FYI... MSE is on one of my computers (xpsp3), and Trend Micro on another (win7-64).

I do not have two AV installed on one machine.

I have not done anything to run an MD5 (or SHA) check on the file,

as I do not have information about whether this file is a legitimate hp file,

let alone the additional information re: file sizes or MD5.

I hope you can help me resolve this question.

Thanks.

mbam-log-2012-08-22 (09-46-08).txt

finalvbto.zip

I don't see a way to edit my post.

This is just an update...

I have verified that the file checked at Virscan is the same as the one I am questioning...

File Size: 23,040 Bytes

MD5 Checksum: 0C97A70C39AB36C77CB48840C5D35907

SHA-1 Checksum: AC8106EE73C28C950544610AE1B1EA366339759D

Generated by MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility @ http://raylin.wordpress.com/downloads/md5-sha-1-checksum-utility

Still no help on the HP Community Forum.