Why Does MBAM Pro Use 100+MB On Win XP SP3 Installations

Recently on a visit back home, I did my usual tune-up of my daughter's and son in-law's PCs. Both are old and at the time using minimum memory; 512MB and 764MB respectively.

On both PCs, current version of MBAM Pro installed. Real time and IP blocking enabled.

On the 512MB PC after a clean install of MBAM Pro, I was able get mbamservice.exe to use around 30 - 40MB. After I installed another 512K of memory to that PC, mbamservice.exe went up to 100+MB!

On the other PC no matter what I tried, mabamservice.exe stayed at 100+KB. I also finally added more memory to that PC.

I think this is a bit rediculous. No app should consistently use that kind of memory. On my WIN 7 installtion with 8GB of memory, mbamservice.exe uses 30 - 40MB on average.

Are you sure about yout MB and KB that you are reporting ??

On my WIN 7 installtion with 8GB of memory, mbamservice.exe uses 30 - 40MB on average.<< How did you convert that??

mbamservice.exe is using 7220K as I am scanning NOW - Convert that back and and it is nothing really -

100,000K = about 97MB -

100+K = about .097MB

If you are greatly concerned I would install another stick of RAM

At worse my task manager shows 6.9MB during a scan -

On my WIN 7 installtion with 8GB of memory, mbamservice.exe uses 30 - 40MB on average.<< How did you convert that??

Just double checked by WIN 7 installation. Mbamservice.exe is currently using 35,112K. That is 35MB approximately.

I am an IT pro. I know the difference between KB and MB.

I am an IT pro. I know the difference between KB and MB.<<NOTE You were not being criticised in any personal way -

Thank you for the quick reply and your details -

I have just rechecked my mbamservice.exe (with an active scan running) and at most I get 7.05078MB exactly.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled as per directions in the FAQ area, to make sure that your version is not corrupted ?

This would not be the first time. Or I can leave the specific method here if you prefer -

Can you do a Quick Scan only, and post the time taken for this, as the Moderators would also be interested ?

This would not be the first time that a Full clean reinstall of the program has fixed this problem.

Thank You -

EDIT - Can you please add a note of any / all active Antivirus / Antimalware / Firewall program(s) you are using -

This is only to see if there may be any conflict between any of these programs and MBAM -

Thanks -

Yesterday uninstalled all my existing security software; PrivateFirewall, Norton AV 2012, and MBAM Pro. Ran respective cleaners for Norton and MBAM.

Installed Kapersky 2012 without incident. PC running great.

This morning I installed latest version of MBAM. Set all exclusions for Kapershy and MBAM as recommended.

Definitely did not download it from spyware monger CNET! Shame on you MBAM for using that outfit and having all your customers install CNET's tracking software. Anyway activated MBAM with my Pro license key.

Guess what? Mbanservice.exe is currently using 33MB of memory; same amount allocated as previously.

My advice - improve your product's resource allocation methods.

Hello again -

You can select File Hippo / Softpedia or a few other download sites if you prefer, rather than Cnet (and I agree)

So according to you Kapersky 2012 is now the only other active security running with MBAM Pro version.

My advice - improve your product's resource allocation methods.
Please be assured that a developer will review this' date=' as these results are not [b']normal scan results.(I refer to my 7MB)

I will try to contact one as soon as I can, and have them contact you here -

You said in your first post "On the other PC no matter what I tried, mabamservice.exe stayed at 100+KB" << This is very good

Unless there was a typo error in that post -

Thank you for your report and for your patience -

Well, mbamservice went up to 46MB. So I watched it for a while in Task Manager when I was surfing. Most of the time, it used 0% CPU. So I have concluded it is doing nothing but using memory resources.

So I have solved this problem. I have disabled real time protection. I do houly updating with a memory flash scan. That only has mbamservice using 2.5MB which is acceptable.

Again thanks for the quick responses, and I have asked others to review the items -

If it is only using "unused memory" resources then it is harming nothing, as that is why you have 8GB of memory.

40MB converts to 0.0390625GB and you have 8GB just sitting there doing not much ??

Based on these figures, do you still think there is a problem ??

Please note that I have still asked others to check again -

Thank you -

So I have solved this problem. I have disabled real time protection. I do houly updating with a memory flash scan. That only has mbamservice using 2.5MB which is acceptable.

Disabling real time protection is not really a solution, it will leave you unprotected and susceptible to getting infected if you happen to visit an unsafe site.

Definitely did not download it from spyware monger CNET! Shame on you MBAM for using that outfit and having all your customers install CNET's tracking software. Anyway activated MBAM with my Pro license key.

The installer for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware if downloaded from CNET does not include their CNET installer/bundle, it's just mbam-setup.exe as with every other official mirror of ours. We made that a requirement for them to continue hosting our software.

Now, on to the primary subject of RAM usage. It definitely will vary depending on your hardware configuration and the operating system you're running. That being said, we are investigating ways to improve the amount of RAM used by the program when running in realtime.

As for not seeing any CPU usage, that's a good thing as that's how the software is designed to work. It should only spike in CPU load when actually scanning something, which only occurs when a process attempts to enter memory so that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can check the process before it starts to see if the process is an infection or not.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Disabling real time protection is not really a solution, it will leave you unprotected and susceptible to getting infected if you happen to visit an unsafe site.

Normally I would agree with you. However, I have KIS 2012 Web Site protection cranked up to max settings. Considering it has URL and dangerous web site blocking, hueristicis, phishing, and script protection, I feel I am adequately covered.

As to the mbamservice.exe memory issue, I beleive it has a memory leak issue with the current version. Yesterday with realtime protection turned off, it was using 2.5MB. Today with no MBAM configuration changes it is using 4.3MB. Also yesterday when I had the PC on all day, mbamservice.exe memory just kept increasing in size.

I beleive you as far as what you stated in regards to CNET . However if I were MBAM, I would order CNET to change it's download icon since It's format indicates that an installer/bundle is present. Whenever I see one of those icons, I look for another web site.

Hi -

It is unfortunate that we do not have control over CNET and their download icons, however their policy was altered by MBAM

As stated > You can select File Hippo / Softpedia or a few other download sites if you prefer, rather than Cnet (and I agree)<

Only a small proportion of downloads are directed to CNET as the base is spread to several sites that carry the program.

Since the bandwidth required is greater than this site can handle, we must choose spread it around -

I have not noticed any change to my mbamservice.exe and it still resides at 7MB during manual scan on my XP SP3 2G RAM.

But, to add to this, my Win7 SP1 has a higher reading (steady at 20MB) but with 4G RAM it is still much less than .06% of use

It seems from what I have found, the usage is proportional to available memory, and never excedes a certain % during use.

So you may notice the change during load and idle times will alter slightly, but never enough to intrude on the system.

Can I please ask what your Kaspersky reading is, since my antivirus is reading much higher than most other processes ?

Again I thank you for your ongoing reports -

Can I please ask what your Kaspersky reading is, since my antivirus is reading much higher than most other processes ?

Kapersky is all over the place. Anywhere from 2MB when PC is idle to 100MB when is doing scanning, etc. It's memory management does appear to be fairly efficient in that it does release memory resources when not needed.

BTW - There was an issue with my WIN 7 PC I did not mention previously. When I reinstalled MBAM Pro after running MBAM-clean and after KIS 2012 was installed. MBAM Pro was starting up immmediate at PC boot. I did checked mbamservice and it was set at auto delayed as it should be. Recently I reactivated MBAM Pro realtime protection including startup at boot time option. Guess what? MBAM Pro now starts up delayed. Go figure.

I decided to use MBAM Pro real time protection again after throughly checking out KIS 2012 Web Virus protection and not being overly impressed. The URL protection is bogus to say the least. I used to think Norton's Safe Search held the record with the number of "good" web sites. KIS 2012 puts Norton's Safe Web far behind! Appears almost every site is OK to KIS 2012 URL protection with a few unknowns thrown in I guess to make it appear it is doing something. KIS Web Virus only scans Windows Script Host scripts and not JAVA scripts that contain most of the malware. I can go on but I think you should get the picture.