FP on msconfig.exe

DaveM

Hard to believe. I downloaded MBAM, installed, updated, and ran a quick scan. It found four files. I decided to remove/quarantine all, but it turned out three of them could not be quarantined. They were deleted on reboot. The fourth was msconfig.exe. I restored it from quarantine and submitted it to Jotti -- it came out clean. Then ran a quick scan in developer mode. Here's the log of that scan:

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 87434

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\msconfig.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken. [385753513430362761788468807971747215708970]

Update. I ran fc and the file is identical to the one in the normal place (...pchealth\helpctr\binaries). I think it must have been flagged based on its location. Now if only I knew how a copy got put in the root directory. Probably I did it myself but when or why I have no recollection.

To the Malwarebytes wizards, sorry I wasted your time. Feel free to close this topic.

Update. I ran fc and the file is identical to the one in the normal place (...pchealth\helpctr\binaries). I think it must have been flagged based on its location. Now if only I knew how a copy got put in the root directory. Probably I did it myself but when or why I have no recollection.

To the Malwarebytes wizards, sorry I wasted your time. Feel free to close this topic.

it's a hueristics hit. Essentially the file is in the wrong location. No waste of time on our part, We're here to help!