How to remove McAfee off my Grandma's computer

I need help removing McAfee off my Grandma's computer. It came preinstalled in the Dell XPS 15 that she ordered. I just need some instructions on how to remove it completely. I don't want any registry entries, files, program data, anything. I want to eradicate McAfee as if it was never installed in the first place. I've read about the removal tool but I can't seem to reach the URL to download it from (download.mcafee.com). Also, I haven't seen any reviews on how effective it is. I kinda like to steer clear of removal tools because they come with the risk of messing up a system. Apparently, the website doesn't work anymore (download.mcafee.com). I also need step by step instructions on how to do this. Like "First download this, then run this as administrator, then boot in safe mode, then....", you get the idea. Also, I don't really know how to private message people on this forum but I have noticed that Firefox says in his signature that he uses a Dell computer. He has Symantec Endpoint Protection installed and if someone could show him this thread, I'd really appreciate it. Since he's had McAfee on his computer (I'm assuming as all Dell computers do), I'd really like his advice on how to nuke McAfee. Thanks alot everyone!

Hi:

Here is the correct link for the removal tool tutorial: http://service.mcafe...033&id=TS101331 :)

The actual download link for the tool is here: http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

Follow the instructions.

You may need to run it more than once, rebooting each time, and possibly even in safe mode (last resort).

Good luck!

daledoc1 (and McAfee survivor)

• Root Admin

To fully remove McAfee from your computer please do the following.

Go to Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program and remove it there and reboot when requested.

Next download and run the MCPR.exe tool which will manually remove left over elements of the program that the uninstaller missed.

A. Download the removal tool from here:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

B. Click Save, and save the file to a folder on your computer.

C. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.

D. Ensure that all McAfee windows are closed.

E. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista/7 users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

F. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.

To fully remove McAfee from your computer please do the following.

Go to Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program and remove it there and reboot when requested.

Next download and run the MCPR.exe tool which will manually remove left over elements of the program that the uninstaller missed.

A. Download the removal tool from here:

http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

B. Click Save, and save the file to a folder on your computer.

C. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.

D. Ensure that all McAfee windows are closed.

E. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista/7 users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

F. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.

Thank you very much. Will do :)

iv also had to use it to remove that program from my computer and iv not had an issue just follow the advice given above and all will be well

I'll take your word for it. So, once I do all that AdvancedSetup told me, I can then download ESET Smart Security 5 and use it with no problems? Btw, what antivirus do you use? Just guessing here, but is it AVAST?

Sorry, forgot to ask, will the removal tool take out the icon in the system tray? Cuz I had MSE and I uninstalled it and ran the fix-it solution (the removal tool) from microsoft and the system tray icon was still there. I basically made a new user account and then deleted the old one.