Help with Settings and Scheduler

I have had the free version of Malwarebytes for some time and really like it. I recently upgraded to the Pro version and having some difficulties in deciding what to check and not check in the settings. Also in deciding the scan and update settings.

Being a normal (or slightly above) PC user what setting would give me good protection without getting complicated.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Hello and :welcome:

See it the info below helps you....

How To Use The New Scheduler

Once you register your full version make sure you schedule your program for automatic updates and scans.....

Have a look at the links below for instructions......

How To Use The New Scheduler (Applicable To Versions 1.51 and above Only)

This video has not been updated yet but it gives you a general idea....

Hello and :welcome:

See it the info below helps you....

How To Use The New Scheduler

Once you register your full version make sure you schedule your program for automatic updates and scans.....

Have a look at the links below for instructions......

How To Use The New Scheduler (Applicable To Versions 1.51 and above Only)

This video has not been updated yet but it gives you a general idea....

Firefox,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I appreciate it.

Yes, I did register the full version and did look at the links you provided. I was able to set the scheduler as per the video but was also wondering about all the other settings in the differant tabs. Is there some kind of "default" for the average user?

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Glad you got it working, the program installs with the default settings for your average user.

Which tab do you have questions about, we can try and answer them as we go...

I guess I must have changed some of the default settings (sorry) is there a list of them?

On the Scheduler settings in doing a scan, which of the 6 boxes should be checked and what are the advantages or disadvantages?

Also, on the update settings what about the 3 boxes?

Thanks again

Well by default when setting up a new Scan schedule all items are unchecked.

This is so you can decide what options best fits for you.

On mine for example I only have Wake computer from sleep to perform task. I have this so if my computer happens to go to sleep it will wake it up to perform the scan this way it does not get missed. Most likely this is not going to happen as I have mine scheduled to pop-up a scan right about my lunch hour so I see it launch, serves as a friendly reminder I need to go eat.... :)

I also have the option to Terminate program when scan completes successfully. I have this option set so if the scan completes and no items are detected it just closes out the Malwarebytes scan window.

The Option for Perform scheduled scan silently from system account, well that option would perform your scans silently and you would not see the Malwarebytes Program come up and you would not see the scan in progress.

The remove and quarantine all threats automatically, well if any items are detected it will remove any threats found, you would have to use this option together with Restart the computer if required for threat removal. I do not like to use this optiona as I like to see what was detected in case I know its a false positive. False positives do happen not very often but its possible.

As for the Udpate options:

Wake computer from sleep to perform task, well thats the same as above..

Show tooltip ballon after successful update (thats just a notification you see in the system tray when an update happens, I have this option on)

Run Flash scan after successful update, well that will just run a real quick scan with the latest update that just downloaded.

Well by default when setting up a new Scan schedule all items are unchecked.

This is so you can decide what options best fits for you.

On mine for example I only have Wake computer from sleep to perform task. I have this so if my computer happens to go to sleep it will wake it up to perform the scan this way it does not get missed. Most likely this is not going to happen as I have mine scheduled to pop-up a scan right about my lunch hour so I see it launch, serves as a friendly reminder I need to go eat.... :)

I also have the option to Terminate program when scan completes successfully. I have this option set so if the scan completes and no items are detected it just closes out the Malwarebytes scan window.

The Option for Perform scheduled scan silently from system account, well that option would perform your scans silently and you would not see the Malwarebytes Program come up and you would not see the scan in progress.

The remove and quarantine all threats automatically, well if any items are detected it will remove any threats found, you would have to use this option together with Restart the computer if required for threat removal. I do not like to use this optiona as I like to see what was detected in case I know its a false positive. False positives do happen not very often but its possible.

As for the Udpate options:

Wake computer from sleep to perform task, well thats the same as above..

Show tooltip ballon after successful update (thats just a notification you see in the system tray when an update happens, I have this option on)

Run Flash scan after successful update, well that will just run a real quick scan with the latest update that just downloaded.

Thanks so much for your help, it certainly will make things easier for me.

If you don't mind I have one last question...what is your opinion of doing a full scan every day? On my computer it takes about 17 minutes.

By the way I like your idea about setting it to remind you about lunch :)

Bob

Quick scan should be all you need, please see below for the different scan types.

Quick Scan versus Full Scan

Basically, a quick scan searches in all areas that malware likes to hide. Also, if you run a full scan, some malware has a chance to change itself, so the longer the scan, the longer the malware (if you have this type of malware) has to change.

A full scan will scan everything, and the only thing that a full scan will find that a quick scan will not are already-dead traces of infections that are gone already and items in the system restore area. Items in the system restore area cannot harm your machine unless you use an infected restore point.

Here are some references I found on the forum by Nosirrah, who is the Malwarebytes VP of Research.

Hope this clears things up for you :)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=41633

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=141646

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=83165

check out the 4th paragraph in this post: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=45299

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=43831

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=40769

Any more questions, feel free to post!

As a side note, when replying, please use the "REPLY To This Topic" section located at the bottom of the page instead of using the Quote, makes it easer to read and follow.