Potentially Unwanted Modifications

Guest MartinG

Guest MartinG

Hello, my name is Martin and I'm a new forum member.

Recently I've decided to install Anti-Malware by Malwarebytes and this is the result of a quick scan:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.07.23.10

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

DOM :: DOM-DDCE8360705 [administrator]

2012-07-23 19:39:41

mbam-log-2012-07-23 (19-42-30).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 172150

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 4

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_ShowHelp (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

From what I've read, items detected are potentially unwanted modifications and you have to do futher research to find out if it is a malware's or software's (yours) modifications.

In my OS I selected the option to inform about the updates but not download or install unless I decide to do so. Is this the result of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0)?

I'm not sure about the rest, but i read that it could be actions by antivirus. I'm using AVAST and COMODO Firewall (both up to dates).

I'll be thankful for helping me to solve this.

Martin

• Staff

Hi Martin and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Yes all of those are likely modifications made by your security software. The UpdatesDisableNotify one is responsible for whether or not you are notified about Windows Updates.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

• Staff

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!