IP Address

Hi all,

Recently, a couple of days ago, I accidently edited a page on Wikipedia. I didn't realize that this would release my IP Address on the "Edit History" of that page. I just want to know, what can someone do with my IP Adresss? Can they control my computer, like a back-door? Can they see what I'm doing, find my passwords, read my e-mails, etc? Not so good with this stuff which is why I need your help. I have a dynamic IP so, I read somewhere that it'll change. How do I get it to change so that no one can use it to do harm to my system? Thanks in advance!

Also, if I may add, I believe that by becoming a member of Wikipedia/making an account, your IP will not then be recorded (or at least not displayed). Check out all the rules & everything :)

Also, if I may add, I believe that by becoming a member of Wikipedia/making an account, your IP will not then be recorded (or at least not displayed). Check out all the rules & everything :)

Thank you for your suggestion. The rules state that making an account would not display your IP Address, as you have said. But this applies to before you edit. Once you edit and click submit, even if you make an account, which I've done, it still displays the IP Address. Kinda sad really, they can't distinguish which IP Address is related with which account and therefore remove it. Oh well.

" I have a dynamic IP so, I read somewhere that it'll change."

dynamic is a relative term these days ... as opposed to several years ago when turning off the modem or "disconnecting from the internet" would cause the present IPA to change .

--- the IPA that you had been assigned went back into a pool ---

things have changed over time ... the infrastructure is better (ie : lot's 'o headroom) and many times a dynamic IPA will not change even though "... it should have ..." .

as such , your IPA may not "roll" very often .

as an example . my IPA is "dynamic" but has not changed for quite some time (measured in months or longer) .

i guess they should call it a semi-dynamic IPA . :lol:

a way to get your IPA to change is to call up tech support for your provider and request a change of your IPA .

they do a little button pushing and you have a new IPA ...

easy/cheap/fast insurance .

Thank you for your suggestion. The rules state that making an account would not display your IP Address, as you have said. But this applies to before you edit. Once you edit and click submit, even if you make an account, which I've done, it still displays the IP Address. Kinda sad really, they can't distinguish which IP Address is related with which account and therefore remove it. Oh well.

You're welcome! Sorry, I just meant for any future editings on there that you may do. You would think that they could figure it out too. Live and learn though, that's what I always say :)

You're welcome! Sorry, I just meant for any future editings on there that you may do. You would think that they could figure it out too. Live and learn though, that's what I always say :)

No, problem. Thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess. But, I just don't get some people, ya know. Oh well *sigh*

On my router, if I release the IP and then renew, I can get a different IP.

That's pretty cool, I'll try it.

One can get a different IP by using a Proxy (in respect to the remote site).

One can get a different IP by altering the MAC address on their WAN interface.

Do you have to buy proxies or something? Is there an online store that sells 'em or is it a "if you know how to get to configure it, you can use it", kinda thing? Thanks for the comment. :)

" I have a dynamic IP so, I read somewhere that it'll change."

dynamic is a relative term these days ... as opposed to several years ago when turning off the modem or "disconnecting from the internet" would cause the present IPA to change .

--- the IPA that you had been assigned went back into a pool ---

things have changed over time ... the infrastructure is better (ie : lot's 'o headroom) and many times a dynamic IPA will not change even though "... it should have ..." .

as such , your IPA may not "roll" very often .

as an example . my IPA is "dynamic" but has not changed for quite some time (measured in months or longer) .

i guess they should call it a semi-dynamic IPA . :lol:

a way to get your IPA to change is to call up tech support for your provider and request a change of your IPA .

they do a little button pushing and you have a new IPA ...

easy/cheap/fast insurance .

Yeah, I'll probably just call up my ISP and get 'em to change it. Thanks a lot. :)

In addition to what Ron said if you keep your computer up to date(windows and all software) then you shouldn't need to worry. Unless they have a very good reason they likely won't attack you. :)

Oh I do that. Check for Windows updates everyday, same with Firefox and its addons, also check for the newest version of Java and Adobe. Those two get exploited a whole lot, too much for my liking. Thanks for the info. :)

Do you have to buy proxies or something? Is there an online store that sells 'em or is it a "if you know how to get to configure it, you can use it", kinda thing? Thanks for the comment. :)

Proxy web site Anonymouse

Proxy Agent, Tor Project

Remember... changing your ISP provided IP address will give you a different IP BUT... will still be relatively on the same network thus the same vicinity for GeoIP related information.

This is about as far as I will go on the subject because many use the same concept not for privacy but for abuse.

Proxy web site Anonymouse

Proxy Agent, Tor Project

Remember... changing your ISP provided IP address will give you a different IP BUT... will still be relatively on the same network thus the same vicinity for GeoIP related information.

This is about as far as I will go on the subject because many use the same concept not for privacy but for abuse.

Thanks a lot for the info and links. I'll check 'em out soon. Yeah, I actually don't need a proxy, I'm fine with my computer just as it is. I never torrent or use any P2P sites. #1 way to get infected, not to mention illegal as well!