Scan Results - "jump to" registry key discrepancy

I ran a precautionary Malearebytes scan subsequent to a blue screen rebooting after updates from Microsoft.

The only item reported was a Security.Hijack for registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\agent.exe

Selecting Right Click/Jump to location for that item opens the Registry Editor at:

My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Agent.2

The Default value for that key is: "Microsoft Agent Character File (HTTP format)".

The Default value for "Image File Execution Options\agent.exe" is not set. There no other values or sub-keys.

While there is an apparent relationship between the keys, jumping to a location other then what was displayed was unexpected.

Should I just click the remove button or investigate further?

Thanks,

david

Greetings David and welcome :)

You've stumbled across a known bug in current versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The jump to location function for registry detections in the scan results screen does not function correctly and always takes you to the incorrect registry key.

I would recommend having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware remove the item that it detected, but if you suspect that it may be a false positive then please refer to this post: Read before reporting a false positive!

and post the info here: False Positives and one of our researchers will investigate the issue and respond as to whether or not this is a false positive, and if it is, they will get it corrected.

• 1 year later...

You've stumbled across a known bug in current versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The jump to location function for registry detections in the scan results screen does not function correctly and always takes you to the incorrect registry key.

Hi, I came across the same issue today, was wondering if it's been fixed yet?

Just to rule out a problem on my end.

Thanks,

ant36t