What virus protection to buy for K12?

gregatkins

I'm looking for a solid anti-virus protection that won't be a resource hog like Symantec and McAfee. Alot of the machines at the school are pretty old so I was thinking about AntiVir since AVG does seem to be on the heavy side (though very effective).

Of course Malwarebytes is on there as a second layer of protection.

Both AntiVir and AVG are around the same price and offer the same features (and server support to manage updates on clients)...just can't decide which one.

I use AVG and it seems to work pretty well. It's caught a few infections on our old pc and removed them easily enough. Only problem I have with it at the moment is that on both our pc's the 'send file to analysis' feature doesn't work. (used for reporting false positives)

Guest remixed

I've tried 'em all and always returned to Kaspersky. No AV product is quicker to respond to new 'real' threats and in critical areas it's detection rate is amongst the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B)

...well I use Kaspersky as well and works great as far as between Avira, or Avg, I would go with Avira as alternative I have tried two other well known AVs that I would not use and NO they havent been mention in this thread ....But in closing ....Kaspersky rocks ! :):(

:( Ha I stand corrected one of the ones was mentioned but at least it was mentioned 4th on their list.(Norton) I just now saw I overlooked it earlier ,I am not at all familar with NOD32 though of all the ones mentioned by everyone who posted the rest are familar names even if I haven't use the ones OP mentioned either

#1 avast! and it has a very friendly forum

#2 Avira AntiVir but the forum can be a bit confusing as there are several flavors of their applications

Avira AntiVir V9 Premium did not let me download IE8 Gold on my XP Pro system and I even called Microsoft support and they were stumped.

As soon as I completely disabled Avira AntiVir Premium I was able to download IE8.

When my Avira AntiVir Premium license runs out I will not renew it and return to avast! that did not complain one bit on my Vista system.

That's a weird one. If it's common place you can bet they'll be hearing about it. Especially once IE8 goes final.

IE8 is final and that is why I downloaded it:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...s_security.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10200071-56.html

Yes as YoKenny1 mentioned even a few on kaspersky had trouble downloading and one said the had to actually disable as well , myself I did download while it is not my main browser I still use it from time to time . I did not have any issues downloading went fine for me and with kaspersky like I said in earlier post, why some did I dont really know... :( ... because I got my kaspersky tweaked forsure tighter then default mode and did mine yesterday afternoon once home from work , but i did on work computer to thats only browser on that computer :) I did sneaky like though :) and have norton on work computer my brothers choice .

Well, I installed it (with everything disabled) and everything seemed fine, until I had to reboot. After that, once I logged in it showed the usual stuff (transferring settings diaglogue in the upper left corner) and it was frozen and took forever to finally finish that and start explorer.exe. Even after it did my PC was pretty much locked up (keep in mind that none of my security software runs at boot, including Kaspersky as I always disable my network connection when I'm not using the internet). I booted to MS D.a.R.T. and disabled a couple of drivers that displayed abnormally high CPU usage (Logitech Setpoint and ATI) then rebooted, same problem, but different processes locking up this time. I continued uninstalling/disabling things but the problem wouldn't cease, so finally I broke down and uninstalled IE8, and after rebooting as instructed everything was fine. I reinstalled/reenabled my drivers and such and now my PC is running normally (albeit with IE7 and not IE8). So I think I'll be waiting a while before installing MS's new version of their browser.

:(

well thats sounds like a BAD day that you had on that exile360 I been there on other stuff before as far as things not going as expected :) kinda bums one out whenever that happens. I don't blame ya for holding off on now hopefully all good next go around for ya .