Version 1.34: CNET Exclusive

Well, i tried one of the many variants of MBAM and it was very weak, so weak in fact i downloaded & installed Avast! FREE Home Ed.

This quickly disposed of the UAC virus and some others i had laying in some obscure archives i had downloaded some time ago.

Avast! gave no problems at all and does a lot more than Malware's MBAM does.

I'll trust professionals more than a ".org" who acts exactly like a ".com" and wants $$$, Malware's website won't even name the place of or people in it's company.

As for affiliate embedding, um sure, wonder why anyone would trust that kind of slick software sales & marketing.

IMO.

Nosirrah.....can I use language now?! ROFL

Fight the urge...fight the urge...

I'll trust professionals more than a ".org" who acts exactly like a ".com" and wants $$$, Malware's website won't even name the place of or people in it's company.

Yes, a company that just wants money just lets you use the product completely free, absolutely no nags at all to buy it, and if you do, is only a one time fee of $24.99 for a lifetime...

Malwarebytes is a highly respected Anti-Malware tool. It's used by thousands of users, has removed almost a billion infections and removes infections most others don't even detect.

I'd also like to note that whatever the TLD suffix is whether it be .com, .net, .org, .us, .biz, .info, etc doesn't necessarily have to be used strictly for whatever the suffix may mean. The only case that really applies is for .gov, .mil and .edu.

Nonetheless, Malwarebytes does indeed own the .com and .net both of which redirect to the .org.

B

Well, i tried one of the many variants of MBAM and it was very weak, so weak in fact i downloaded & installed Avast! FREE Home Ed.

This quickly disposed of the UAC virus and some others i had laying in some obscure archives i had downloaded some time ago.

Yeah, just for info, MBAM is NOT an antivirus and doesn't detect threats the same way an AV does (by file signature and MD5). It looks only for ACTIVE infections on a user's system, and even then is only designed to detect the threats that MOST ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE WOULD MISS. It doesn't look in archives or obscure locations you might have stored an inactive virus in, it looks for malware in the places from which it actively loads and runs on an infected system.

@Electrobrandino: Trust you'll soger up... ;)

@Tigger93: Yes, Malware has NAGs...

http://tinypics.us/show.php/44771_MalwaresNagging.bmp

@Besttechie: Well if it owns them then it is even further unethical to misrep one's business, why trust a business that tries to claim it's a .org when it is really a .com??? Maybe they could be more honest and have redirection to their .com suffix, right?

@exile360: If you compare MBAM to "most" AV programs (built by amatures) you may make such claims, but ethically speaking how does it compare to the best FREE AV programs like Avast!? Well, as i just learned, it is weak in comparison, and furthermore, uses untrustworthy unethical slick sales & marketing to sell itself.

Sorry fans, but only a fool would give any $ for malware's program because there is no honest company behind it! The website is missing company info, its program has nags, is a crippled executable, versions have differing executables, and it also has its very own active SPYWARE!

http://tinypics.us/show.php/44772_MalwaresSpyware.bmp

And to defend these practices just shows how low and greedy and unethical some people have become.

Wow, I was actually including Avast in there as well, because again, MBAM is not an AV, it's an AM (closest thing would be a combination of an Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware, Anti-Rootkit and Anti-Trojan program). The free version detects and removes everything the paid version does, the only difference is that the paid version stops the nasties from installing to begin with. I'm not sure about the slick sales thing, as honestly, they help users with infected systems around here all the time for free, and don't tell them "you need to buy our program to be safe". As far as free AV's go, I personally prefer Avira over Avast, but that's just my preference.

Wow! A button that says purchase and a link at the top? Sorry, that's not really a nag...

And sorry, your logic of asking to send the data about what infections Malwarebytes find to us isn't spyware. Incase you didn't realize, the privacy policy specifies what info it submits and its your choice whether you want to submit that info.

Cor'e,

This is truly unbelievable - you're making some pretty ridiculous statements here. Stop and think about what you're saying for a second.

Let me address some of your concerns/issues you bring up.

First, the Malwarebytes' original TLD was .biz (which stands for business by the way) which lost to a scrupulous hosting company many years back. Since then it has been regained by Malwarebytes, however, not before the move to .org was made. I'm not sure if you are familiar with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) but moving a domain to a new TLD can potentially be very costly if proper redirection methods are not setup many months in advance. That being said, it's just not logical to make the move to the .com at this time or ever if so decided by Marcin (RubberDucky) since the name has been established under the .org. It has nothing to do with business ethics or Malwarebytes misrepresenting themselves nor does it appear anyone else seem to care (except you).

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges with the whole AV (avast!) comparison. Look at the name of the product - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware -- not Anti-Virus. Therefore, your comparison is null and void.

As for nagging and spyware - your claims are ludicrous. Let me define some words for you.

Nag(ging): remind or urge constantly / bother persistently

Malwarebytes does neither of those - it doesn't popup dialog boxes reminding you about it's real-time protection nor does it force you to look at the top right hand corner of the application.

As for the spyware claim - if you actually read the fine print - they're not usage statistics. They are simply statistics to help the Malwarebytes team improve the product and find out the latest threats online so they can create a more effective product. Also, I hope you'll notice you are completely able to untick that box with the simplest of ease. Try disabling AntiVirus 360, SpywareGuard 2009, System Protect 2009, Malware Defender 2009, or any of the other rogue anti-malware applications with the tick or untick of a check box.

B

• Root Admin

Jeff pretty much cleared everything up.

To clear some other points up, we don't post an address because we simply do not have one. There are 12 employees at Malwarebytes and we are scattered around the globe. I myself am in the state of Illinois.

Secondly, there are four unique builds (actually more) because I feel that the person who recommends our product should get a commission off of their sale. When you go to any store and a sales associate helps you, many receive a commission, that is the case here. Nearly every product out there does this and the fact that you are here yelling about it makes me think you are just here to cause trouble. There is no 'scam' here, there are no lies, anything you need answered we answer for you.

Ok, well even though I just signed up I am not new to malware. Being that I'm an Independent Malware Researcher and shouldn't get involved in a discussion like this but:

Without doing any REAL indepth analysis. I did a comparison on the versions you mentioned, Besttechie, BleepingComputer (Which I'm a Security Colleague there), and Download.com

And in just adding to everything that has already been mentioned above. Besttechie and Download both has identical versions, BleepingComputer's is different but the code mentioned above could be the cause of that.

Just so it is mentioned I use BinDiff in IDA Pro Advanced for the comparisions.

Cor'e =),

Get over yourself. You are nothing more than a misnformed flamer who doesn't have any clue on what's going on behind the scenes. I could see if you had some type of in depth knowledge on what you are talking about, but you don't.

MalwareBytes has helped me for over a year at work (daily) and at home. It is an invaluable tool because it is free without any strings attached, provides updates multiple times daily and as mentioned before, does not "nag" you to purchase. For all of the reasons posted above, I purchased a license for MBAM this past Sunday. Not because I had too... Not because I had extra money... I did it because I support software makers who care and make a difference. Software makers who don't beg for money or take away key features if you don't buy their product. MB is so dedicated to malware removal that they provide the BEST (IMO) malware removal tool out there for FREE. It just works, no questions asked and VERY FEW false positives. How can you argue against that?

Thanks MB for all that you do, keep up the good fight. I know I will!

swagger (Keith)