Laptop crashes when trying to run scan

Hello Quinny,

No need to re-run the MS Safety scanner.

We can wrap this up now. I see that you are clear of your original issues.

If you have a problem with these steps, or something does not quite work here, do let me know.

Advise me when you have completed the following cleanups.

The following few steps will remove tools we used.

We have to remove Combofix and all its associated folders. By whichever name you named it, ( you had named it ComboFix icon_exclaim.gif),

put that name in the RUN box stated just below.

The "/uninstall" in the Run line below is to start Combofix for it's cleanup & removal function.

Note the space before the slash mark.

The utility must be removed to prevent any un-intentional or accidental usage, PLUS, to free up much space on your hard disk.

• Highlight the line in this CODEBOX.
    Select & Copy the entire line within this codebox (so that it is in Windows clipboard memory)
    c:\users\Wools\Desktop\ComboFix /uninstall

• Start >> type in cmd >> press the Ctrl+Shift+Enter keyboard combination and cmd.exe will be launched as if you selected Run as Administrator. You will then see a User Account Control prompt asking if you would like to allow the Command Prompt to be able to make changes on your computer. Click on the Yes button and you will now be at the Elevated Command Prompt.
    Do a Right click within the command prompt window and select Paste. This must show the line from Codebox above.
    Then tap Enter

IF in the case Combofix un-install has an issue, skip that step.

NEXT

• Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.

ERUNT you should keep and use on a periodic basis to backup Windows registry.

Delete the following if still present:

DrWeb Cure-it

TDSSKILLER.exe

SecurityCheck.exe

MS Safety scanner

You may go to Control Panel's Programs and Features >> locate ESET Online scan & IF found.... select it, and right-click to uninstall (remove).

Close the applet when done. This will free up the space used by the scan utility.

Safer practices

We are finished here. Best regards.

Hi Maurice,thanks for all your help.I have one query after i ran DrWeb it quarantined four files and put them

in a folder,what shall i do with these files which are:

bflixinstaller.exe

descript.ion

gygan.exe

javascriptinsert.js

Also what if after i uninstall all the tools i've run there's no change and MBAM still crashes when running a

full scan and then crashes the laptop as per my problem in my first post.

Delete the DrWeb quarantine folder.

As to MBAM, look in the general MBAM F.A.Q. to set "trust" exclusions in both MBAM and your antivirus.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Also, fyi, with some stubborn antivirus apps, you may need to first turn it off, before starting MBAM scan.

Thanks Maurice.After i ran the otl cleaner i was prompted to restart and when it restarted i was faced with a black screen

and an alert saying this version of Windows is not genuine.

Then the desktop appeared with "this version of windows is not genuine" in the bottom right hand corner of the task bar.

I then rebooted again and it started normally without the alert.

Just tried the acid test and run a MBAM full scan i had also set exclusions and it crashed after 11secs,and then

crashed the laptop.So i shutdown via power button and tried again but this time i disable Avast and it crashes after 24secs.

So the problem still persists as of my first post and no closer to fixing it.Any ideas what can be causing this?

As you know it has no problem running a quick scan.

The term "crashes" is so un-specific. Do you get a STOP exception? (aka BSOD). if so, what is the exception code and the corresponding description?

or is it some "exception" message from MBAM? if so, what is it? and can you take a screen snapshot and post here?

barring a BSOD, you can use ALT-print-screen to capture the screen message, then go to Paint, and paste, and save the image, and then post that.

If not BSOD, are you seeing a "freeze"?

answer these questions, please. and then re-run a fresh DDS, and copy and paste the DDS.txt log

If I cannot figure out the issue, I will refer you to either customer support if you have an MBAM license; otherwise, I will ask you to post a fresh post into the General MalwareBytes forum.

Hi Maurice,When i say crashes i mean MBAM says not responding then the laptop freezes.

I am unable to take a screen shot with alt+printscreen and also unable to use snipping tool.

The only thing i can do when this happens is shut it down with the power button.

Also there is no BSOD.I Do notice the cpu fan is blowing a lot and the hard drive light seems to be

flickering most of the time.Unable to do scan with eset online scanner and Avast free full scan aswell.

Prepare a new run of DDS and save the logs. Make a new topic in General MBAM-forum http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41

Use the term "freeze" instead of crash, give a summary of the current situation. Mention Maurice sent you there. Include the link to this topic here.

and in your new MBAM topic, paste the new DDS.txt log. Then wait for a staff member of MalwareBytes to respond.

Best to you.