Cannot access "JAVA" in Control Panel; get error message?

Eagleeye

Good afternoon everyone,

When I open the Control Panel, and click on "Java", I get the error message shown in the attached screenshot.

I've had a couple of other issues previously with Adobe Air and problems with downloading/installing the latest Java v7, update 5 (which I posted about here back on June 18th...I believe it was). With help here, I was finally able to download the aforementioned Java version/update.

Can someone explain just what this error is (or what is causing it), and how do I correct it? I've never had this particular problem before. Scans with my AV, MBAM, & SAS are all clean.

Thank you for your time and any enlightenment!

post-103625-0-40963600-1340294557.jpg

@EE;

Somehow the control panel is looking for JRE version 7.04 - screenhunter02jun211213.jpg- when you actually have JRE 7.05 installed.

I don't feel comfortable trying to talk you through manually changing items in the Registry so I'm going to bow out at this point and let one of the EXPERTS or TRUSTED ADVISORS assist you.. I'll still be around EE but hands off. :huh:

Steve

• Root Admin

Actually that might be 1.x version of Java that is probably long gone.

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs and it will help us to determine more what's going on with the system.

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hi Ron & Steve,

Here are the two DDS logs you requested. Thanks very much for your time and help!

(For Steve): With regards to your first post, I can't say I'd be too thrilled at having to start messing with the registry on this machine anyway!

Regards,

Eagleeye

dds.txt

attach.txt

Good morning again...

I still have the same problem described in my OP. There is another item I've noticed, but don't know what, if any, bearing it might have on the problem shown in my OP. Looking in the Add/Remove Programs list, I see that both the current Java 7, Update 5 AND Java 6, Update 31 are both being displayed.

Should I remove the Java 6 from the list? If so, is there some specific way to do the uninstall - or do I just remove it from the Add/Remove Programs list the usual way (i.e. highlighting the Java 6 item and clicking on the <REMOVE> button)? I ask because I know some programs, such as, MBAM Pro and Outpost Security Suite/Firewall have specific uninstall programs for users to utilize in removing all remnants of the particular program.

Thanks very much for your time and any information! :)

EE

@EE :) (I should have nicknamed you E2 instead of EE.. :P )

Unless someone wants to jump in here, I'll give you a possible solution since you've had various Java problems for the past ten(?) days or so. It's going to sound convoluted and lengthy *but* - trust me - At this point you have little to lose. :wacko:

It's a several step process:

1) Download JavaRa 2.0 BETA v3 (Free)

Requirements:

- Windows 9k, Windows 2k, Windows XP, Windows Vista (without UAC enabled), Windows 7 (without UAC enabled)

JavaRa 2.0 beta #3 requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (or newer) is installed (Use this version of JavaRa EE)

screenhunter04jun221636.gif

2) Download the Trial version (30 days free) of RevoPro Uninstaller

screenhunter02jun221631.gif

A) Unzip and Install JavaRa:

1. LAUNCH JAVARA
  2. CLOSE ALL BROWSERS
  3. CLICK ON "UPDATE JavaRa DEFINITIONS" ICON
  4. DOWNLOAD
  5. BACK AFTER COMPLETION
  6. CLICK ON "ADDITIONAL TASKS" ICON
  7. CHECK ALL 3 BOXES
  8. CLICK RUN
  9. BACK AFTER COMPLETION
  10. CLICK ON "REMOVE JRE" ICON
  11. CLICK RUN
  12. NEXT
  13. WHEN YOU GET BACK TO MAIN JAVARA SCREEN, EXIT JAVARA.
  14. ReBOOT MACHINE

B) Unpack and Install REVO PRO

1. Launch RevoPro
  2. IF THERE ARE NO JAVA ICONS SHOWING, EXIT REVOPRO AND GO DIRECTLY TO STEP C) <<= (EDIT based on Pete's experience)
  3. UNINSTALL the JAVA(s) (there'll be icons for each version) ONE AT A TIME
  4. AFTER IT UNINSTALLS EACH THERE WILL BE A LIT BUTTON 3
  5. SCAN FOR LEFTOVER STUFF (Use ADVANCED option)
  6. SELECT ALL ITEMS SHOWING
  7. SELECT DELETE
  8. REPEAT UNINSTALLS UNTIL ALL JAVA ITEMS ARE GONE
  9. REBOOT MACHINE

C) Install Java 7 version 5 that you downloaded the other day for the update problem.

D) ReBOOT

E) How is everything now?

EDIT: By the way; the above two program DOWNLOAD buttons are "hot"; Just double-click.. Good luck and fingers crossed.. :)

Steve

Edited by ShyWriter

Greetings again Steve,

It seems it was only necessary to run that JavaRa program to resolve the problem I had. I did run the Revo Pro, but the user interface did not display any Java icons at all. You'd said to run a scan (under the Advanced tab) to remove any remnants. I couldn't find anything on that user interface or any of the drop down menus that said, "Advanced." (Also, I had to disable my Outpost Security Suite in order to complete the download/installation of the JavaRa program; Got an "Installation Failed" message).

I also experienced some major issues after rebooting (after using Revo Pro). My computer would not boot properly and kept freezing. I also had problems with the VB engine not loading in Outpost, thus getting a warning about limited functionality. I rebooted 3 times without success. I finally just unplugged the power cord from the electrical outlet, waited about 5 minutes, plugged the cord back in & rebooted a 4th time. This occasion... everything went as it should. (It had me quite concerned that I might have managed to pick up a malware infection while my Outpost Security Suite was disabled to download/install JavaRa).

I checked the Add/Remove Programs list and Java 7, update 5 and some other program called JavaFX 2.1.1 were shown. The previous Java 6 version was removed and no longer shows up. Since I'm now able to access "Java" in the Control Panel, it looks as if that problem is resolved!

In closing, I want to thank you again for all your help with this problem! (Given my computer's current "JAVA track record", I wouldn't be surprised to find myself having to post back here again in the near future!).

Best regards! :D

Pete (EE)

Congrats on getting it resolved Pete. The only way you'd have seen the #3 is if you actually had to uninstall any remaining JAVA from your machine after JavaRa ran by clicking on a remaining icon that would have shown up in RevoPro's screen. Sorry you had so much difficulty with RevoPro itself as I've run the registered version for years with no problems..

Regardless; the important thing is you finally have the two Java icons (and programs) you're supposed to have. The Java FX icon in the ADD/REMOVE is normal.

I've noticed that the JavaRa 2.0 beta 3 program does a much better job at removing Java garbage than the old JavaRa 1.16 version ever did.

Hopefully you can now enjoy your computer and forget all about your Java ills. :D:lol:

I made a slight one line edit (Line 2 in section B) in case anyone else decides to use this technique in the future

Regards there, my friend,

Pleased to have been able to get you the tools you needed to fix your machine..

Steve

Edited by ShyWriter

• 3 weeks later...