XP Crashing After Nod32 Update

Hi,

I cannot see any external drives after updating my Nod 32 virus protection to version 5.

The drive appears in Device Manager, but will not appear in My Computer.

The system then crashes, and I cannot open any files at all.

I did a MB scan, which came up negative.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks...

Hi bmg,

This is a known compatibility issue between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and and the most recent version of NOD32. Our developers are currently working alongside ESET to solve this issue. Until then, there is a temporary fix that might be of use to you:

1. Ensure that the external drive is disconnected from the computer.

2. Reboot your computer into safe mode.

3. Connect any external drives to the computer and ensure that they appear and are accessible.

4. Restart normally.

Keep in mind that this only works while the external drive remains plugged in after rebooting out of safe mode. Any attempt to disconnect and reconnect after the reboot will cause the system freeze.

Feel free to let me know if you have any further trouble.

This is downright laughable if it weren't so serious.

I upgrade to the latest version of a popular sw, and now can't access files I need to make a living!

(I think it may be time to ditch Eset.)

Any other suggestions as to an anti-virus program THAT WORKS?

Guest Seagull

I would ditch Malwarebytes before I ditch ESET. I been a long time user of ESET and its a great Anti-Virus, a conflict between Malwarebytes and ESET is a two way street,

Its not ESETs fault, ESET alone would work just fine, same can be said for Malwarebytes. This isn't the first conflict with an Anti-Virus program Malwarebytes has had.

Also, this freezing issue is only happening on Windows XP SP3. I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed on three different computers in my house with both

ESET Smart Security 5 and Malwarebytes PRO, and have no such issues.

ESET does work, so I don't quite understand why you are asking for another Anti-Virus that does work. The problem is the conflict between Malwarebytes and ESET on a

Windows XP SP3 machine. Conflicts can occur with any Anti-Virus, your running two security solutions in realtime so a conflict is most certainly is possible, though with

Malwarebytes it is rare.

This is just my two cents.

Seagull is correct that both ESET and Malwarebytes work perfectly well on their own. Every once in a while, compatibility issues like this will arise between our product and antiviruses, and we do our best to resolve them as soon as we can.

Unfortunately we don't have a solid answer to your question at the moment. Depending on how high the developers prioritize this issue, it could be resolved shortly, or put on hold until other issues have been resolved.

Might I ask for clarification in your original post? You said that your system crashed and you weren't able to open any files anymore. Did your computer actually restart on its own and/or encounter a blue screen of death? Or rather did the system just become unresponsive until you manually restarted?

After upgrading the NOD32 version 5 on Monday, whenever I plug-in my external hard drives, the system becomes locked.

There is no way to open any files or folders, the taskbar is unavailable, and I have to shut-down using the power button.

Your 'fix' does work, but as a graphic artist who needs the PS scratch disk on another drive for best results, this is a major issue for me.

I had liked NOD32 for the past year, but this is unacceptable for me to continue working this way.

I wonder if I go back to version 4 everything would be OK.

I came here for info, not knowing it was connected in any way with MB - go figure...