Windows Update Failure Due to System Mechanic Pro?

Similar problem to Nancydnv in another post. Perhaps Maurice you can help me as well? I have Windows Vista, 64-bit. I've been trying to perform 12 Windows updates for about two weeks now, but they consistenetly fail. Tried in a "clean boot" state, as well as with limited services running as a few websites suggested but with no luck. I started to notice many users who had a similar problem with Windows update were also using SM, so I uninstalled it completely. System restore will not go back further than 5 days, even though that box is checked. I tried doing the updates in 2 groups of 6 as well without any success. Error codes are 80070641 and 641. I've tried Microsoft Fixit with no success. I've also tried Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v2-x86.msu, KB942288-v2-x64.msu, KB942288-v2-ia64.msu), but none would work as all three said they were not for my version of Windows. Another site suggested I go to services.msc, however, when I do, Windows Installer is NOT listed. I tried the "merge" with the Windows Reg Editor 5.0 and reboot, but that did not work either. Up until now I have had no problems with SM and just renewed it earlier this month. Needless to say I will be asking for a refund!

At the cmd promp I have entered:

net stop wuauserv [enter]

Next I am browsing the C drive for:

Windows\Software Distribution\Download

I have 68 items in that folder going back to Sep. 2010. Is the next step to delete all of these? I assume no adverse affect if these files are deleted?

Once that is done I understand I should go back to the cmd prompt and enter:

net start wuauserv [enter] ~~~ logoff and reboot

How exactly do I do a custom scan selection and will ANY updates work if I do not see Windows Installer listed in my "Services" (local) folder? If I am to proceed, only Office updates at first, correct? Post back here if even those fail?

Detailed step-by-step assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I inadvertently left out any pertinent information for troubleshooting.

Thanks! :)

• Root Admin

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes

I would probably be helpful to run the following please.

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hello catlover2 and welcome.

Do NOT use Windows system restore, as you could very well lose files that are not covered by system restore.

The error-codes you are seeing and the missing installer service are all connected to the use of registry cleaning, in this case usage of System Mechanic.

You will not get far (without a couple of registry fixes) in Windows updates, since a number of the current updates require the windows installer service.

S M has knocked out a key registry entry that effectively results in windows installer "not showing" {windows update will show cannot access}.

In addition, S M would have also removed the REG association entry in the registry.

These are cure-able.

But I must know your exact Windows version {Windows 7, Vista, or XP ? } Sorry. A re-read of your original post shows VISTA - 64

Do NOT try to re-install the Installer 4.5 package (it's not necessary to jump to that extreme at this time).

The FixIt's will not cure your current situation given that it too depends on the installer service.

Some answers to your questions:

At the cmd promp I have entered:

net stop wuauserv [enter]

Next I am browsing the C drive for:

Windows\Software Distribution\Download

I have 68 items in that folder going back to Sep. 2010. Is the next step to delete all of these? I assume no adverse affect if these files are deleted?

YES, you may delete all the contents (folders & files) in the \Download folder {just that sub-folder & not the parent folders}. That is recommended to clear the queue of pending/downloaded items)

Once that is done I understand I should go back to the cmd prompt and enter:

net start wuauserv [enter] ~~~ logoff and reboot

You can hold off on that, but if you have done that, no harm. [The command restarts the windows update service, but we really should leave it alone for the time being. And it will start again anyhow at the next Windows startup.]

As to the Custom scan at Windows Update, hold off until after we have fixed 2 registry entries.

added note

Put back a couple of registry entries

System Mechanic "registry cleaning" has put a double whammy on your system in having removed two registry keys.

The following will put things back in order for the registry {at least for the Installer service}, so that you can then proceed to redo Windows Update.

This are for VISTA systems <<<---

Download this file from Ramesh S http://www.winhelpon...egfix_vista.zip

Save it to your DESKTOP.

EXtract the contents to your DESKTOP.

go to Start, type in

REGEDIT and press Enter-key

from main menu, select File

then select IMPORT

navigate the dialog (click on DESKTOP icon on left to select it)

type in

regfix_vista.reg

in the Filename text-box and click Open button.

Once the merge is complete, you will see a confirmation message.

Click OK when done.

Next, get this second registry-fix

Download and SAVE to your system (to the Desktop or a unique folder) the following registry-fix file

http://download.blee...a/msiserver.reg

Do a RIGHT-Click on msiserver.reg file and select MERGE

When it confirms the merge, click OK button.

If prompted by UAC User Account Control, allow to proceed.

IF and only if, the Merge option is not available, then double-click on the file and allow it to merge into the registry.

IF and ".reg" file pops up in REGEDIT, when prompted whether to Merge answer Yes.

When done with the two registry fixes, Exit / close REGEDIT.

then Logoff and Restart Windows fresh.

Post fresh copies of the DDS logs for review.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good news - Windows Installer is back!!! I rebooted and did my Office 2010 updates (5 of them) only and received

the error: 80246007.

I also tried my Office 2007 updates (3 of them) and received the same error code.

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted.

Tried the Office updates again and was SUCCESSFUL. Then moved on to the Microsoft .NET Framework updates. Received 2 error codes: 80070002 and 80246007 (again!).

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted. Finally able to succesfully download and install.

Problem with Microsoft Silverlight update.

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted. Success!

My computer is now up to date :D

Thank you for your help!

p.s. Do you happen to know if I will have to do future updates in increments like this, alternating with the Microsoft Fixit tool? While I am glad this ultimately does work, it is a little annoying to have to do it like this every time in the future.

I forgot to mention that I had to clean out the "Windows\Software Distribution\Download" folder each time, as well as stop and restart the automatic update service.

When you have a windows update failure, this is usually a good idea to do. With the proviso, that you do research on the particular failure as the main focus & goal.

i.e. the cleanup is secondary.

Good news - Windows Installer is back!!! I rebooted and did my Office 2010 updates (5 of them) only and received

the error: 80246007.

I also tried my Office 2007 updates (3 of them) and received the same error code.

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted.

Tried the Office updates again and was SUCCESSFUL. Then moved on to the Microsoft .NET Framework updates. Received 2 error codes: 80070002 and 80246007 (again!).

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted. Finally able to succesfully download and install.

Problem with Microsoft Silverlight update.

Used Microsoft Fixit and rebooted. Success!

My computer is now up to date :D

Thank you for your help!

p.s. Do you happen to know if I will have to do future updates in increments like this, alternating with the Microsoft Fixit tool? While I am glad this ultimately does work, it is a little annoying to have to do it like this every time in the future.

We're glad to know that the system is all up-to-date. Kudos.

Running the Fix-It should not be needed in the future. Though I do not see a reference to the specific one that you used. (There's several FixIt widgets at MS )

On the 80070002 exception: I have had it happen to me. A cleanout of the Download folder and reboot & retry worked for me.

The cause of the Windows Update failures was the use of an over-agressive "registry cleaning". In your specific case, it was System Mechanic.

My personal suggestion is to not use "registry cleaners"!. They are not needed.

For another perspective, please see Ed Bott's blogpost Why I don’t use registry cleaners

A brief review of your DDS log shows that you have an out-of-date Java runtime that must have the latest update.

javaicon.gif Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Download the latest version of >> Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline << from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, select Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u32-windows-i586-s.exe to install the newest version.
    ( jre-6u32-windows-x64.exe if this is a 64-bit Windows o.s.)

• After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup) javaicon.gif
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
      • Applications and Applets
        Trace and Log Files

[*]Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.

[*]Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window

Small tweaks for Java runtime, since most all users do not need to load Java at each Windows startup:

Click Advanced Tab. Expand the Miscellaneous item.

UN-check the line Java quick starter

Press Apply then OK. Close the applet when done.

To test your Java Run-time, you may go to this page http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

When all is well, you should see Java Version: Java 6 Update 32 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

Best to you.

~ Maurice