Java

Hey guys. Lately I've been lazy and haven't uninstalled my old versions of Java which is why I had 4! I uninstalled old versions (Java 6) or something like that, there were 2 of them. What I had left was this:

Name Publisher Installed on Size Version

Java 7 Update 4 Oracle 5/7/2012 101 MB 7.0.40

Java 7 Update 4 (64-bit) Oracle 5/7/2012 95.0 MB 7.0.40

So, naturally I went to java.com and I clicked on the "Downloads" tab on the top of the page. It scanned my computer and said "Congratulations! you have the latest version of Java installed!) or something along those lines. Long story short, I have no idea which one to uninstall, I know that you're only supposed to have 1 Java installed so I'm confused. They were both installed on the same date and are the same version too. If any of you guys know which one I should uninstall, please reply. I am on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system, I think I should've mentioned that earlier :P Thanks, and I look forward to reading your answers.

Not all sites use 64 bit Java, some still require 32 bit. If you spend a little time reading at Java, you will see they recommend both version of java be installed to not have any issues.

The FAQ at Java gives this Summary

SUMMARY

64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.

I totally disagree with that assessment.

Whether you use JRE/32 or JRE/64 is all a function of the application runtime on the platform and independent of the Java Applets to be executed under the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

The whole idea was to give JVM a complete OS independence when running a Java Applet. Thus an applet can run on mainframe, Windows or 'nix OS'. This is why Sun sued and one against Microsoft and why Oracle is suing Google and will win.

The only REAL question is whether to use v6 update 32 vs. v7 update 4.

If you have evidence supporting otherwise, please elucidate with any Sun/Oracle articles indicating your viewpoint.

Sorry you felt I was giving a personal Assessment, I was mainly relaying information I have read at Oracle and found to be very true at some sites I deal with almost daily. Not every company is up-to-date with their technology and coding. So my only proof is in sites i have to deal with, which I'm sure is a very small sector of Internet Cerfing and working.

Please provide that Oracle information.

As I tried to convey, the applets don't care what they run on with the exception being the v7 family vs. the v6 family.

The exception may be if Java is included with an application such as v5 update 11 which is included as a integral part of Adobe LifeCycle Designer v8.2.

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\jre

A web site hosting a Java applet won't care if it is running under JRE/32 or JRE/64. That's the beauty of the OS independent structure and design of JVM.

I thought it also depended on what software running on the system required Java, such as office is 32bit which then requires the 32bit java even on a 64bit system?

• Root Admin

Recommended Version 7 Update 4

www.java.com

We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 32-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.
Apple supplies their own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac

Why should I upgrade to the latest Java version?

The latest Java version contains important enhancements to improve performance, stability and security of the Java applications that run on your machine. Installing this free update will ensure that your Java applications continue to run safely and efficiently.

Should I unistall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.

Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.

Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system.

Do I need older versions of Java?

The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.

Why should I upgrade to Java 7?

Well even though Java itself in theory will work on either x86 or x64 or other platforms even if coded to do so - the reality is it's not always 100% true and coding mistakes can happen and are made from programmers quite often.

In a perfect World it would always work.

More than likely if you do run into issues or differences it might actually be due to other Web ojects that are being called/used on a web page that are for an x86 browser and if you're running an x64 browser they cannot load or vice-versa as stated on the Oracle website. They don't claim it's Java's fault - but rather a potential browser issue.

java_se7_x86.png

java_se7_x64.png

Is there an x64/64-bit version of Firefox?

These builds are for testing purposes only

Firefox Nightly

So, I guess I'll just keep both versions. Actually, to tell you guys the truth, I had no idea what the version without "64-bit" was. Now I know that it is the 32-bit. So, I guess I'll just keep both versions, seeing as they are both the latest and secure. Thanks to all who commented, you guys really helped me out. Me = paranoid (about security) :P