Windows update issue due to missing Windows Installer service--following use of System Mechanic

Nancydnv

Fixed. Thanks for the thread.
Glad you got it fixed, I would advice stopping the use of System Mechanic, as you have now seen, it can seriously cause some issues.

remember that post i made about "going to do some updates ..." ?

i finally grabbed a cup of coffee , whipped one of these out and started in :

rt1tu.jpg

heh ... weeeelll ... it just happened to me .

yessir , the last three updates did not/will not install .

i will perform the measures outlined here and report back .

You are my HERO, Maurice Naggar! I had been working on fixing this identical problem for several days and tried everything that was suggested online elsewhere. I was getting hung up on not being able to right-click and merge into my registry. As soon as I followed your instructions on how to import the registry change, Windows Installer reappeared and all is peachy. I've now gotten all of the Windows Updates to work and was able to install the software that I couldn't re: Windows Installer being missing. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

Sometimes it would stop automatically due to various issues so in those cases try this FIXIT from microsoft

Download this FIX -run -restart your PC and then test windows updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Maurice Naggar.

You are saving the day for many people! What do you think: Are software companies discovering their interconnection and interdependence?

• 1 year later...

The file Maurice including in one of the post's saved me. I have been racking my brain trying to fix this msiserver folder that was not on my computer for some reason. So it resulted in me not having the windows installer service present. I saved and merged the file given and Presto!, it looks like it worked. I realize it's an old post, but anyone going through this currently could certainly benefit from this post. Thank you so much.

Archived