A good light antivirus for my bootcamp partition?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good light antivirus for my bootcamp partition? Whenever I use Windows I use Avast but Avast 7 is having a noticeable impact on boot time. I basically want something that will sit in my system tray not eat my resources and not bother me unless I accidentally click on a link I shouldn't have.

I've been looking at Webroot but I am sceptical of it to say the least, even with the good results from the labs I find it hard to believe something that small cal provide adequate protection, I keep thinking about that guy who sold dousing rods to the UK military and told them they where bomb detectors.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Guest Seagull

ESET NOD32 is very light on the system, it is known to be one of the lightest Anti-Viruses out there, it has low false positives and great detection rates.

I highly recommend ESET.

Guest Seagull

I don't always go by these Lab tests as I found sometimes they are misleading. I tested ESET NOD32 myself and I couldn't get anything past it with the settings turned up to the max.

Here is the latest AV-Comparatives http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_fd_mar2012_intl_en.pdf ESET did good, 97.6% in my book is great, it received the highest ranking award Advanced+ and look at the false positive selection, that's where ESET really excels, even though this test is two months old.

These AV tests are always going to change, its like sports, sometimes your team comes in first and sometimes not. No Anti-Virus will catch all threats.

Also, you said you wanted performance, have a look here http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_nov_2011.pdf ESET is one of the fastest and lightest Anti-Viruses on the market.

These tests, like I said, are always changing, I been a ESET Smart Security user for years and never had an infection or had any kind of issues. I recommended this software to my family and my friends and they were quite pleased.

I hope this helps. :)

i am using the full-tilt paid for version of ESET "smart security 5.xx" .

loading from a cold start is fast ... considering that i have it set to check *everything* (aka : the anal retentive mode) .

how fast a comp boots up is a function of several parameters that have to be taken into consideration :

there are programs out there that are "bloatware" and poorly written

processor speed and ram

how many superfluous programs are loaded and running in the background

etc

i changed over from AVG "internet security" .

AVG was performing with no problems but i did not care for the toolbar and other items they started including .

(why does it seem that when something is good they feel like they gotta screw it up ?)

as for impacting system resources and "just sitting there" .

obviously this type of program can't just sit there ... but ... it does not nag me with a bunch of pop-ups (i could tell it to) .

i run FF13/b4 ...

i installed two worthy add-ons : WOT and "trafficlight" (a bitdefender product) .

these run in conjunction with the ESET version of browser security .

also , both AV programs i mentioned have their own firewall .

Guest Seagull

Hmm something to be considered. Any opinions on Panda Cloud?

I wish I could help you out but, I personally never used it. However, I have read a few reviews about it and it seems decent.

• 2 months later...
Guest Seagull

I personally never used it overhaze, hopefully someone will be along soon who can shed some light on this for you.

Until then, you can check out pcmag's website on there review of Comodo Internet Security if that helps, here is the link. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399585,00.asp

or you can check out cnet and check out actual user reviews on Comodo Internet Security at the bottom of the page. http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Internet-Security/3000-2239_4-10460704.html

I hope this helps. :)

Avast or Kingsoft Cloud Antivirus 2012 would be my two top pic's for system lightness, both sit around 4-6 meg when idle and the protection levels provided by both applications are outstanding and comparable to top paid suites, MSE sits around 40-60 meg for me and detection levels are starting to drop more and more every test in AV Comparatives, and complete fails in MRG Flash tests.