Memory usage. Is it normal ?

I always wanted to ask this. Is it normal for mbamservice.exe to use 100+ MB of memory and up to 15 % CPU at idle. It has always been like that and BTW my sys is clean. None of my other security programs need so much memory or CPU unless I do a scan. Eg. with Avast!. See image. My Comp my sig.

Thanks.

MBAMservice.png

The amount of RAM and CPU usage in the above image does seem too high. At idle, for me at least, MBAMService uses 0% CPU, though the amount of RAM used varies, but usually does not exceed around 80~90MB.

I would suggest excluding Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's 3 primary executables from your other security products to see if that helps any:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

The 12 % CPU was taken at the screnshot image. It is always going up an down, from 0 % up to 15 %, like if MBAM is doing something in the background, eventhough nothing is going on in the comp.

I had already excluded all my security progs from each other ^_^ . Hmm.. May be if I reinstall MBAM clean... :huh: I remember that 90 MB of memory was used long ago, still it is a lot of memory for a program that is not doing anything, but with the last program update it went up to 100+.

Thank you Samuel. I 'll see if a clean install lower the numbers.

The RAM varies and has more to do with your hardware (amount of total RAM) and the size of the current database.

The CPU usage means that mbamservice (the protection module for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) is actually scanning something, and I suspect it's likely related to Defense+ in CIS. Please try temporarily disabling Defense+ completely, restarting your computer, then checking CPU usage for mbamservice.exe to see if it still spikes constantly or not.

The CPU usage means that mbamservice (the protection module for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) is actually scanning something, and I suspect it's likely related to Defense+ in CIS. Please try temporarily disabling Defense+ completely, restarting your computer, ...

Nope. Been there done that. I have also disabled Comodo " Sandbox " and " Execution Control " because they have heuristic and cloud base control. No joy.

Anyway I have mbamservice.exe as a trusted file with " Updater/Installer " status in Comodo and I have not only Comodo folder but its 3 mayor files; cmdagent.exe, cfp.exe, and cfpconfg.exe in MBAM ignore list. So it must be something else.

Well, no big deal. One of these day I will find out.

Anyway I thank you for taking time to answer my question.

You can always use a tool like Process Monitor (MS Sysinternals) to determine what mbamservice.exe is analyzing when it is spiking in CPU constantly like that. I'm sure that will aid you in determining the cause.

Nothing out of extraordinaire. Handles and DLLs all belong to Microsoft. Only one Comodo DLL ( Guard32.DLL. It is a AppInit DLL ). I included it to MBAM ignore list, but did not have any effect in how MBAM is behaving.

Unless I do not know how to use Process Explorer, I did not see any other program or file. I picked mbamservice.exe and looked for the Dlls and Handles. Is there another way to see which programs MBAM is analazing with Process Explorer ?

Thanks again.

Unless I do not know how to use Process Explorer, I did not see any other program or file. I picked mbamservice.exe and looked for the Dlls and Handles. Is there another way to see which programs MBAM is analazing with Process Explorer ?

Not with Process Explorer, but if you use Process Monitor as I suggested above, it will show you everything (files (including DLL's), folders, reg entries etc.) that MBAMService is touching.

Not with Process Explorer, but if you use Process Monitor as I suggested above, it will show you everything (files (including DLL's), folders, reg entries etc.) that MBAMService is touching.

:D My bad. I have Process Monitor but I never used it before. I will have to read instructions. Unless you can tell me what to do. There are many gadgets and a bunch of mbamservice.exe entries doing different things :wacko:. Kind of overwhelming at this moment.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the same here - nearly always about 102 MB of memory used by mbamservice.exe - quite a footprint!

Security Essentials only uses 48 MB, Super Anti Spyware Realtime Scanner only 2 MB.

All the MBAM exes are marked as excluded in MSE and SAS.

I'd really appreciate if memory consumption could be reduced in the near future. Thx!