Virus divert my Goggle Searches

• Root Admin

Yes thank you very much. You're lucky you understand computers enough to do what you did. We though have to attempt to automate these fixes for the vast majority of users that don't have that level of understanding.

Glad you got it resolved. As for FF use. I recommend using NoScript and AdBlockPlus as the first add-on.

I'll leave you with this then to finish up.

Uninstall other tools

Please
Download
OTMoveIt3
by Old Timer
and save it to your
Desktop
  • Double-click
    OTMoveIt3.exe
    to run it.
  • While connected to the Internet, Click on the green
    CleanUp!
    button and it will populate a list of items to clean from your system that we used or may have used.

• It should ask if you want to clean up, select Yes and allow the system to clean up these items.

NOW
    please reboot your computer to finish the cleanup process

Great, all looks good now.

I'll close your post soon so that other don't post into it and leave you with this information and suggestions.

So how did I get infected in the first place?

At this time your system appears to be clean. Nothing else in the logs indicates that you are still infected.

Now that you appear to be clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Disable and Enable System Restore-WINDOWS XP

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:

Turn off System Restore

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.

• Click the System Restore tab.

• Check Turn off System Restore.

• Click Apply, and then click OK.

• Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.

• Click the System Restore tab.

• UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

• Click Apply, and then click OK.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Install SpyWare Blaster

Download it from
here

Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster
here

Install WinPatrol

Download it from
here

Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works
here

Install FireTrust SiteHound

You can find information and download it from
here

Install hpHosts

Download it from
here

hpHosts is a community managed and maintained hosts file that allows an additional layer of protection against access to ad,

tracking and malicious websites. This prevents your computer from connecting to these untrusted sites

by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your own local computer.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer.

Note 1:

If you are running Windows XP
SP2
, you should upgrade to
SP3

Note 2:

Users of Norton Internet Security 2008 should uninstall the software before they install Service Pack 3.

The security suite can then be reinstalled afterwards.

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect your system. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must.

I recommend
Online Armor Free

A little outdated but good reading on

how to prevent Malware

Keep safe online and happy surfing.

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting into it. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply to your machine unless you
Fully Understand

how these programs work and what you're doing. Please start a thread of your own and someone will be happy to help you, just follow the Pre-Hijackthis instructions found here before posting
Pre- HJT Post Instructions

Also don't forget that we offer
FREE
assistance with General PC questions and repair here
PC Help

If you're pleased with the product
Malwarebytes
and the service provided you, please let your friends, family, and co-workers know.
http://www.malwarebytes.org