Computer running hot and very slow

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103590&pid=512395&st=0entry512395

THis is my previous thread about a malware infection just for reference and now I am looking for some more help since I was here last, nothing to do with malware. The problem was taken care of promptly and carefully and I was very satisfied, but my computer is running ridiculously slow right now and I don't know why. The fan certainly sounds like its working overtime and the computer is running real hot. I thought of opening up the bottom of the laptop and cleaning out any dust to see if that would help, but I wanted to check here first. I do not get any malware or virus warnings so I think this is the right place to go. If not, maybe you could steer me in the right direction. Thanks

Brian

Use a can of compressed air and blow air through the fins and intake of the cooling fan.

What is the brand of the notebook ?

There are instances where a BIOS update can help where the fan is not being best utilized. This has been seen in a few Dell models.

yep ...

if the fan is running full-tilt all the time and the machine is slow ... it may be overheating due to a clogged air path .

back-blowing the exhaust port may fix the problem ... the object is to remove the dust and fuzz that has built up .

in some cases , this actually turns into a felt-like material (especially if the laptop was used in a kitchen - grease vapor) , back-blowing does not remove it ... it just shoves it into the fan .

disassembly is about the most sure-fired way to clean things up .

however ... if you are not competent at tearing down a laptop (95% of the time removing the "bottom" is not as easy as just pulling a few screws on the bottom) ,

you can wind up doing more harm than good .

in this case , finding someone who is hip would be advisable .

while you're in there ... clean and re-goop the cpu and cooler interface .

• 4 weeks later...

I did get re-directed to a "Your computer may be infected" site, so I think I might have caught something, unfortunately.

Hi, zbad2000:

We can't work on malware diagnosis and cleaning in this particular sub-section of the forum.

So please read below for assistance with cleaning your system.

IMPORTANT: Please do NOT use any temporary file cleaners unless instructed to do so - they can cause data loss, making it hard to recover your system.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE EXPERT ASSISTANCE WITH MALWARE REMOVAL, PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING 3 OPTIONS:

OPTION 1: Free, one-on-one, expert assistance in the Malware Removal Forum.

OPTION 2: For paid users of MBAM PRO, free, one-on-one, expert assistance from the MBAM support helpdesk.

OPTION 3: Fee-based, one-on-one, expert assistance from Premium Support.

OPTION 1:

• Please print out, read and carefully follow the instructions in the "I'm Infected - What Do I Do Now?" article.
  • If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot complete some or all of the steps, then just do the best you can and start a new topic as described below.

• Then please start a new post in the Malware Removal Forum.
  • When starting your new post, please note the following:
  • Please do NOT post in a topic started by someone else, even if their problem sounds similar.
  • Please COPY/PASTE the requested logs directly into your post, rather than attaching them.
  • Under options, please be sure to select "track this topic" and "immediate email notification", so you'll know when a helper responds.

• Please be patient - it may be 48 hours or more before a helper can assist you, especially when the forum is very busy.
  • Please do NOT "bump" your topic or reply back to it for at least 48 hours.
  • Doing so may cause your topic to be overlooked, as it will appear that you are already being helped.

OPTION 2:

If you are a paid user of MBAM PRO and would like support via the helpdesk, please contact them here.

OPTION 3:

If you prefer the Malwarebytes Premium Services (comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs – from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Premium Support site here.

Please be patient – someone will assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much,

daledoc1

• 4 years later...

Laptops have a big problem with heat and airflow, there's just not much room to move air through the system, and often only the CPU and chipset have any active cooling, via a heat pipe to a small heatsink with a blower attached. The RAM and hard drive are left to fend for themselves, by radiating or convection instead of the more pro-active conduction like the heatsink provides.

You may want t consider a laptop cooling mat, and also making sure the laptop sits right-side up. What little airflow is generated for teh RAM is designed around the laptop being in the correct orientation.

Tabeer:

This thread was from 2012.

If I remember correctly, we tried to help you with a laptop issue just about a year ago.  You would start threads but not return to them, you would not perform requested tasks nor answer questions.  Your thread(s) were locked.