SCANS for Mr.Charlie

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first screen upon reboot says to push a key to boot from CD

Then goes to the Safe Mode options

HELP typed at the prompt in the CD's Recovery Zone for acceptable commands lists 33 entries

ATTRIB DISABLE MAP

BATCH DISKPART MD

BOOTCFG ENABLE MKDIR

CD EXIT MORE

CHDIR EXPAND NET

CHKDSK FIXBOOT RD

CLS FIXMBR REN

COPY FORMAT RENAME

DEL HELP RMDIR

DELETE LISTSVC SYSTEMROOT

DIR LOGON TYPE

If none of these are useful for our purpose, I was just curious if DIR would show anything on the harddrive,

like files?

I was wondering if there was any way to get a gander of what document files are on the drive.

Also, I just discovered that Windows 98 was the OS on that computer when purchased.(an OS she would be happy to return to..).

But that throws a monkey wrench into restoration. Or does it? At any rate, it wouldn't match Product Keys with the XP, would it?

And the XP put on later has an Institutional Key. We don't know which XP version that was but I believe you could tell from the scans, no?

Excuse me if this is a dumb question but will this block restoration with a Dell disk?

////////////////////////////////////

Also, looking into the Dell disk, I came across a claim that it reverts to factory settings. Pitiful novice that I am, I am driven to speculate

if there would be a conflict between "factory settings" (see below) and XP vs. 98 settings.

Undoubtedly another dumb question. Here's the quote:

The difference is flexability. With a full xp disc you can repair xp (or IE etc) and run sfc if things go wrong. But with Dell you can only revert to factory settings. You can also alter partitions with an xp disc, but usually with Dell you can't (as there is max on logical partitions on one hd - 4). [from http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/496220-windows-xp-home-vs-dell.html ]

This is more tangled than I expected.

-Grivin

I was wondering if there was any way to get a gander of what document files are on the drive.

Yes with the OTLPE disk I asked you to make

Also, I just discovered that Windows 98 was the OS on that computer when purchased.(an OS she would be happy to return to..).

But that throws a monkey wrench into restoration. Or does it? At any rate, it wouldn't match Product Keys with the XP, would it?

Yes, that would be a problem

And the XP put on later has an Institutional Key. We don't know which XP version that was but I believe you could tell from the scans, no?

Yes I already did that...look back through the posts.

Excuse me if this is a dumb question but will this block restoration with a Dell disk?

Most probably, you don't know how XP was put on the system.

Also, looking into the Dell disk, I came across a claim that it reverts to factory settings. Pitiful novice that I am, I am driven to speculate if there would be a conflict between "factory settings" (see below) and XP vs. 98 settings.

No

The difference is flexability. With a full xp disc you can repair xp (or IE etc) and run sfc if things go wrong. But with Dell you can only revert to factory settings. You can also alter partitions with an xp disc, but usually with Dell you can't (as there is max on logical partitions on one hd - 4). [from http://forums.techgu...me-vs-dell.html ]

No, you can still do all of that.

I still say you buy a XP pro disk and do a fresh install or just buy a new computer.

MrC

I can't be sure the Dell is going to work. The computer originally came with Windows 98 (this is what you said). So the original instillation of the operating system was by Dell.

Now someone upgraded to XP, you don't know if they used a "Dell upgrade cd" or a Windows XP cd.

Look on the sticker where the product code is, what does it say?

It may say for Windows 98se or XP.

If not, please send me the product key by personal messenger (PM)

You need the correct product key for the operating system for this to work.

MrC

EDIT:

I found these....XP Pro with COA and Key:

http://www.bmem.net/...M-SP3_p_15.html

http://www.softwares...4-oem-dell.html

Mr.C.

I have obtained the XP version which was infected when we started this.

This is the one installed over the original in order to be compatible with the educational

institution using it.

Can this be used to reinstall ?

-Grivin